So I realize that I'm months late to the party on this one, I think my "Join Date" explains why. After reading through the previous posts I can't help but notice that it hasn't been directly mentioned that part of safe and responsible firearms storage (as covered in the CFSC/CRFSC manuals) involves educating others in the home about being around firearms. While that doesn't mean that you have to teach them how to use it or bring them up to PAL or RPAL standards it does mean that you should ensure that they have enough knowledge about firearms that they are comfortable being around them and have enough knowledge about the potential risks of mishandling a firearm that they don't feel the urge to handle them unsupervised.

With that, in direct response to the original post, if your neighbours' children spend a considerable amount of time in your home and there aren't areas that are considered off-limits (or if you have reason to believe that those boundaries won't be respected, they are kids after all) then the answer is yes, you should definitely talk to your neighbours about owning a firearm. If they are uncomfortable with the idea of their children being around firearms then you should do your best to educate them as you would someone in your own home and get their consent to do the same with their children.

Firearm ownership may have a stigma surrounding it in the eyes of many, but that group should not include firearms owners themselves. Those who have been educated about responsible firearm ownership are the only people who can help remove that stigma, and whenever possible we should make a proper effort to do so. We don't have to treat it like a religion or a political campaign and go knocking door to door, just recognize the proper times to address the issue and take the time to do it.