I'm just getting into shooting. I've got an application underway for an R-PAL. Interested in target shooting, maybe IPSC or IDPA if I get good enough.

Here's the question... I have two kids, 4 and 7. The neighbours' kids, around the same age, are frequently in our house playing. We're on good terms with all the neighbours, but I have never talked to any of them about guns before, so I have no idea whether they have any opinions on the subject. Some people have nutty ideas, especially as regards some kinds of guns that people see as inherently evil.

Would it be a good idea to tell the neighbours about my plans, and reassure them that there is no reasonably foreseeable chance that their kids will ever find a gun, especially a loaded gun, lying around the place? I intend to be as responsible a gun owner as you'll ever find anywhere. Would it be reasonable to talk to the kids themselves, just in case I somehow failed to secure a gun properly (maybe I got struck by lightning while cleaning it)? I would warn them that if they do somehow happen to find a gun that looks real, then it probably is real, and they should not touch it, just tell an adult.

If I ever take my own sons shooting, and I expect I will, then there would seem to be a fairly high chance that the neighbours will hear about it anyway.

But maybe bringing it up at all is just asking for trouble.