Quote Originally Posted by TheCenturion View Post
1: I prefer licensing to having a background check/waiting period/whatever each individual time you purchase a firearm. The license is inexpensive and has a very low barrier to entry. However, firearms ownership should be decriminalized in general. I also like the requirement of a training course; it at least means somebody has shown you the basics. It would be better if the training course included live fire, but I don't know how practicable that would be in real life.

2: Currently, the law says a firearm is something that can discharge a projective at > 500 feet/second. This means it's dead simple to build a potato cannon, for example, that you'd then require a PAL to operate.
I disagree with the 'waiting period every time'. Once you have one firearm in your possession, it's rather pointless and does little to nothing to prevent harm. Add to that you can illegally buy a firearm in any major centre through illicit sources rather quickly with a fistful of cash and questions to the right people....it's no help. The old FAC system would add a day or two for your background check if you didn't already own a gun, and there's little one can do beyond that.