Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Just talked to Tony "The Garand Guy" and he confirmed that the BM 59 kits are not a good option to build a traditional Garand. As mentioned they come with a .308 barrel for starters and the stock is definitely different to allow for the box magazine. You would need to add a piece back in to the bottom of the stock in order to make the lower plate fit. You would also need to get the proper lower plate and somehow attach it or get a proper trigger group with the plate in place. Plus the op-rod is shorter on the BM 59 so it wouldn't work with a .30-'06 set up.
He did say that he could put together a .308 kit using most of the BM 59 parts and substituting a standard trigger group. The stock would have the extra piece of wood set in place, but it would not necessarily match the rest of the wood, so it might not look too great. It would be more cost than the base BM 59 kit due to the extra work for him to fix up the stock, but if anyone is interested in this option let me know and I'll get you a price.
I would be curious to know the cost compared to the other garand kit.