Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    In Canada, you can't just buy a hand gun and store it at home. You need to do your restricted PAL, which involves references and background checks. I believe you also must belong to a range. There is no other place you can use a hand gun peacefully, so this is required. Some ranges in the GTO area are very picky about who can join, from what relatives have told me.

You're right that you want to avoid advertising gun ownership. Use a moniker on forums, never your real name. Personally, I would avoid ordering a firearm online if there was a store option I could drive to. I once ordered some 22 ammunition which came in a square box from Cabelas via UPS. I found a 4 inch gash along the box edge, and there was a sticker from the store with something like "dangerous goods" on it. The UPS guy might get some payment to tell someone where he has delivered guns or ammo. Some people might think that is too paranoid, but why wouldn't criminals pursue a great source of information like that in the city?

It's really no different than the security of anything valuable. I travelled in Europe when I was young wearing a sweatshirt and green work pants. Another Canadian from the hostel arrives at the restaurant 5 minutes after me, having travelled through the same alley, and was mugged. He was wearing a straw hat and rock band T-shirt, standing out like someone on vacation. I carried my 35mm camera in an old vintage pack sack, wrapped in a sweater, not a camera bag labelled Pentax or whatever. You can do something similar. Taking the restricted firearm to the range can be made more obscure by placing the locked case inside a reusable shopping bag or something else that doesn't attract attention. Don't put firearm related stickers on your car, don't wear tactical gear, etc., and you won't get any attention.
    In the US, I hear about Walmart selling guns... Pick up some clothes, groceries... And oh yeah and a Glock while I'm there... I've seen videos, properganda perhaps... of legal gun dealers selling guns and ammo at shows, without asking for proper identification... Buying a gun altogether is a lot easier as its more obtainable, it being their second ammendment and all... I don't know the statistics of how many Gun owners there are in Ontario... But I would imagine if the ranges are tight on who can join, it would make sense that one would have to prove they can handle it... I suppose that one can't just store A gun in house indefinitely, without having to take it to a range and actually put it to use...

As I stated I may sound paranoid but with good reason... I know from growing up, that there are really bad folks out there... non law abiding, greedy... Evil.. I've seen it... So when it comes to safety, in my perspective I need to know and cover all aspects of the possibility of danger... Liberal mentality doesn't work for me, that's a different subject altogether...

You sound like a street educated person brother... Cheers...

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpnguyento View Post
    In the US, I hear about Walmart selling guns... Pick up some clothes, groceries... And oh yeah and a Glock while I'm there... I've seen videos, properganda perhaps... of legal gun dealers selling guns and ammo at shows, without asking for proper identification... Buying a gun altogether is a lot easier as its more obtainable, it being their second ammendment and all... I don't know the statistics of how many Gun owners there are in Ontario... But I would imagine if the ranges are tight on who can join, it would make sense that one would have to prove they can handle it... I suppose that one can't just store A gun in house indefinitely, without having to take it to a range and actually put it to use...

As I stated I may sound paranoid but with good reason... I know from growing up, that there are really bad folks out there... non law abiding, greedy... Evil.. I've seen it... So when it comes to safety, in my perspective I need to know and cover all aspects of the possibility of danger... Liberal mentality doesn't work for me, that's a different subject altogether...

You sound like a street educated person brother... Cheers...
    This ain't the US. I live in the ghetto ( well low income and many cultures ) And I secure them solid within the law and more and that's it. I do my part to hide them or let my neighbors know. The way your going it sounds like your up to no good or expecting black choppers to hover over and men in black repel down to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpnguyento View Post
    Thanks friends for all the wonderful advice and input... I'll stop here as this thread was intended for people to introduce themselves... As such... Hi I'm J.P. from Ontario, really interested in being a gun owner but in truth weighing pros and cons of ownership... Taking the small steps of educating myself in the laws and obligations of an owner... I don't want to be just some random guy saying "Guns are cool... I want one!"... I want it to be done right and learn first.... Cheers all!
    Be less paranoid. Educate yourself on Canada laws not US. Why worry about stuff that doesn't matter because doesn't effect you. Its not that hard to be a firearm owner and nothing you should be ashamed to hide. I just hide because where I live.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

awndray (03-01-2016)