Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    #1 - Get the license, it won't go bad.

#2 - Start with a cheap gun that shoots cheap ammo. I was just at a gun show, there were several perfectly serviceable .22's sold for under $100. Ammo can be had for between $30-$50 for 500 rounds or so. So you can blaze away at pop cans and such, working on your fundamentals without breaking the bank.

#3 - While you're out having fun plinking, you can start saving your pennies for the next gun. Many, if not most of us started out with old secondhand firearms. As you age, your income will increase accordingly and your collection will slowly grow in both quantity and quality. You'll figure out what sort of firearms turn your crank through owning and shooting a variety of them, and find your slot (or slots) in the shooting community. I started out with a hand me down 16 gauge single shot and a pair of .22s bought at a farm auction for $80. Couldn't afford to upgrade anything until I hit 20, so I borrowed hunting rifles and was handed down a muzzleloader. Then I bought a third or fourth hand .308 my uncle had fixed up, and my first brand new gun, an inline .50 cal muzzleloader. Now that the apprenticeship is done, I buy a few guns a year, selling or trading the odd one. I counted 30 the other day....getting to be way more than I can shoot on a regular basis so I may need to trim the fat a bit....

Be patient, start small, practice, be safe and enjoy. The rest will come.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Gaidheal (04-13-2016), lone-wolf (04-13-2016), R&R Rancher (04-12-2016)