Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you're not familiar with how something on that particular rifle/shotgun/handgun works all you have to do is ask.
    They were fine with someone not knowing the button to open the action for instance. They show you how to open it(or release the mag, ect.), then you continue on proving it safe.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

It's like passing a driving test. Do everything slow and exaggerated, and narrate what you're doing. Keep an eye on your instructor, they'll probably be giving you little cues.

Remember, kids take the same PAL course adults do, and they pass it all the time. Don't point the test firearm anywhere you're not supposed to, keep your finger well away from the trigger and trigger guard, be able to rattle off ACTS/PROVE, and for the multiple choice tests, whichever answer is the most overly-cautious, in terms of safety, is probably correct.

The test is designed to let people pass it. You really need to be either completely and obnoxiously not paying attention and half-assing it, or be an utter moron to fail.

It really can't be stated enough that the course is dead simple to pass. Arguably, too simple to pass. The instructor wants you to pass. None of the questions are 'gotchas' or designed to trip you up or trick you; some of them are written awkwardly or stupidly, but it's just awkward writing, not trying to trap you.

Take advantage of the hands-on time during the course to familiarize yourself with all of the different actions and styles. Even during the practical, it's perfectly cromulent to say 'I'm not familiar with this exact make/model; where is the safety? Can the magazine be ejected with the safety on?" and so on.

Somebody else mentioned always setting the safety when you're done handling the firearm; that's a good catch, and oddly, something that gets glossed over in the course. I'd add to that, get into the habit of putting down the firearm with the action open whenever possible. Slide locked back, cylinder out, bolt open (or even removed,) whatever. Safety on if possible. I'd say that putting the firearm down with the action open is better than action closed and safety on, but I'd narrate that too. "I've now proven the firearm unloaded and safe. I'm putting it down with the action open for easy inspection. This is a 1911-style handgun, so the safety cannot be engaged with the slide open, so I'm not engaging it."

That's odd as there shouldn't be a difference between Provinces/Territories considering the PAL/RPAL course is Federal, one would assume it was the same everywhere in Canada.

For sure the practical test is written out with what you have the student do, but the practical test is supposed to begin with "pick two numbers between one and five" as that determines the actions they will do the testing on. In fact there are five versions of the 1-5 list that we change up so once a student does the practical, they can't tell the remaining students what action correlates to the numbers they chose as the matrix changes every-time .. or at least five versions of the matrix are used so it's very hard to determine what action is associated to what number. Now whether or not the instructor actually does this or just "pretends" to and then chooses what firearms he wants the student to be tested on one would never know.

In fact there are five versions of the 1-5 list that we change up so once a student does the practical, they can't tell the remaining students what action correlates to the numbers they chose as the matrix changes every-time
    over thinking things a bit eh
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    over thinking things a bit eh
    Nope, not at all, it all comes in your instructor kit. Having it written out just makes it easier for the instructor.

It's not much of a stretch to think students would try "helping" each other by letting them know what number they need to choose to get the break open, etc.

I had to pass the non restricted test twice. Once in Alberta which was normal and once in Quebec as they didn't accept the Alberta test and that was a pain with the stupid Quebec rules. To prove a firearm safe in Quebec involves a cleaning rod on a lot of firearms. I was lucky and got a S&W bolt action rifle and the bolt just slips out so I could look down the barrel from the back. It's against the law to point a firearm at some one in Quebec so you can't look down the barrel from the front as your pointing it at some one. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenwp View Post
    It's against the law to point a firearm at some one in Quebec so you can't look down the barrel from the front as your pointing it at some one. Go figure.
    I prefer these two techniques, after PROV, then to do E:
    1) put a barrel light into the chamber, and put a mirror at the muzzle, and look at the mirror.
    2) put a barrel light into the muzzle, and put your finger near the chamber, look for light on your finger.

Admittedly there could be a little bit of dirt in there still, but certainly no stuck bullets.

But you can't do those at a CFSC practical test.

During the American Civil War, officers were encouraged to watch their men to ensure they fired their rifles. After a battle it was common to find a couple rifles that had as many as six sets of bullets and powder neatly rammed into a single rifle barrel.

It's an offense to point a firearm at anyone in any Province or Territory, not just Quebec.

When doing ACTS and PROVE, the last thing is examine the bore, if done in the correct sequence the firearm can not be loaded and so is deemed to have been PROVEN safe.

The Practical test starts with picking two numbers and going over what is expected of the student including telling them what deductions will be made for what ever mistake is made IE; two points for pointing in an unsafe direction, two points if your finger is in the trigger guard on on the trigger when it shouldn't be, two points for trying to load incorrect ammo, etc, up to 7 points or an automatic failure if you point the firearm at me or YOU unless you are pointing it at yourself as the last step of PROVE. Automatic failure trying to do a visual bore inspection from the muzzle end if the action is closed. It's all covered in the instructors pre-amble to the test and the student is then asked if they understand everything, if so, we proceed to the testing but it is CLEARLY outlined and DISCUSSED.

Mind your Fingers and the the Range of Motion.

The fellas I took my course through had tested us on everything.. pump-action, break, lever, single shot and semi-auto, pistol and revolvers.

I got points deducted because of ONE stupid thing.
    Now, keep in mind: stupid + weapons = problems.
    During a pistol inspection, the instructor couldn't see if my finger was on the trigger or not [it wasn't], and when I turned my wrist down to lay the pistol on its side and show the location of my finger, my movement caused the barrel to move about 2" outside the designated safe-zone-of-control and they nabbed me on that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast