Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
I have now sat through the course 3 times (helping instructor not taking it) and it is "please pickup the bolt action rifle" "please pick up the semi automatic shot gun" "please pick up the lever action rifle". You ACTS and PROVE the gun when you pick it up and again when you set it down. You will have to demonstrate how to load each gun. ONCE IT IS LOADED PUT ON THE SAFETY.
You need to know how to ACTS and PROVE all of them but it is covered in the course and you do get to practice with each kind before hand.
Know how to read your head stamps and data stamps.
You will also have to demonstrate a couple of shooting positions (kneeling and standing) and what to do if you have to cross a fence. ACTS and PROVE the gun when you set it down and AGAIN when u pick it up. Even though you just did it when you set it down it is a mark against you if you don't check when you pick it up just in case "something accidentally got in the barrel or action". ALWAYS leave the action open when you are setting down an ACTSed and PROVEd gun.
The 2 HUGE things is pointed in a safe direction and finger off of trigger and outside of trigger guard and as mentioned before talk your way through because even if you don't completely properly demonstrate what you are doing the examiner will still know what you are attempting to do.
Back when I did it......after letting my FAC expire for many many years, they just told us to pick a gun out of the pile. Perhaps the test has evolved since then. Perhaps it was because I was talking to the instructor before the course started and they got the point that I wasn't there to learn base level stuff about guns. I managed to sit through the first 15 minutes of a video and asked to challenge the example. Passed both the restricted and non restricted with 100%. I remember the only thing that I got wrong was when they held up a 22lr cartridge and asked me what kind of "bullet' it was. I said 'hollow point ?'.....I couldn't actually see the tip. Nope. I said 'round nose ?' Nope.....it's a 22 long rifle. I said '°You asked what kind of bullet it was, not what kind of cartridge it was'. Still marked me wrong...dumb twit.