Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first handgun, a .22 Buckmark. I've heard the following options for cleaning semi-automatic handguns and was wondering what people thought: (1) Don't clean it unless it loses accuracy. (2) Clean it with a bore snake after each trip to the range and taking it apart for a thorough cleaning once per year. (3) Take it apart (field strip) to clean thoroughly after each trip to the range (or every few hundred rounds). (4) clean using a rod and patch from the muzzle end using a bore guide.

Number (1) seems lazy, plus if you don't clean it the rifling will clog and accuracy will presumably suffer. For number (2) I've heard that a bore snake only cleans about 80% so presumably that will not be enough. For Number (3), is field stripping that often really necessary; it sounds like a lot of work? And for Number (4) it seems strange to clean a gun from the muzzle end; presumably the dirty patches then come out the ejection port?

Like I said, I'm a newbie, so any thoughts are welcome. Please don't limit your thoughts to rimfire, as I'd like to get a 9mm in future.