Hey guys,

First time poster here. I'm new to the world of firearms, and I'd love to get right into it. I've never had a gun license, let alone hold a gun. So I'm a total newb to all of this. I just visited the RCMP's website, and according to what I've read : "The Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) is the only licence currently available to new applicants. It is renewable every five years. As a general rule, applicants must have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course." (CFSC).

But right below the details for the CFSC is more information on the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). It states : "In accordance with the Firearms Act, a firearms safety course focusing on restricted firearms was developed and implemented on February 1, 1999. Individuals wishing to acquire restricted firearms must take the full classroom delivery of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC), and pass all the tests."

So....the first paragraph talks about the CFSC & the second paragraph talks about "restricted firearms" and the CRFSC.

All I want is to have a handgun (not a shotgun or a rifle) to protect my family. Do I need to take both courses, or can I just take the CFSC???