Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Favorite firearms moment? Easy. I was in my early teens and had been working my first real summer jobs for a few local contractors who pumped/installed septic tanks. As my family was not one of those who where somehow 'entitled' I bought my own clothes, work boots, etc. My goal was to buy a rifle that fall with what was left. Summer was full of hard work, many blisters and learned a whole new version of the English language. I had scouted out many gun books and I was almost within reach of my dream. Back to school, some of my earnings had gone to school supplies but I was still hopeful that something was out there. Then came October. Birthdays were always remembered but never really anything big. Mom baked a cake, cards with a few dollars from granny and my aunts and uncles. Then dad brought out a blanket wrapped thing. ??? What was this my head thought. I unrolled the old blanket and there it was, my dad's rifle he had when he was a kid growing up in Kirkland Lake. He never ever mentioned that he had ever owned a gun and now here it was. A Marlin Model 81 that was old enough to not have a serial number. A box of old CIL .22 Long Rifle was included. I still have that old rifle to this day. It has long lost it's blue and is more brown than anything. The money I had saved went to having a Williams peep sight installed front and rear. I take it out now and then and when I do, the memories flood back to a much simpler time. Mom and Dad are gone now but they will never be forgotten. That birthday is etched in stone in my brain as well. Thanks for the opportunity to relive that day and share it with those who likely have very similar experiences. FAL.
    Last edited by FALover; 01-08-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

MarkR (01-15-2020)