Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

American with some questions

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have some questions I wanted to ask of the knowledgeable folks here. ..

Let me preface this by saying I've done searches and either my search terms are too short (e.g., fbi) or didn't turn up what I was looking for.

In short, I've been here several months (no, I didn't arrive Tuesday night ) and am in the process of starting a permanent residency application with my Canadian partner. I've been shooting since I was a wee girl but haven't done any hunting and would like to with this area seemingly being home to lots of interesting species.

A PAL is obviously my first step and I read on the rcmp pages that if you've been here less than 5 years that you need a letter of good conduct from your local or state police department back in your native country. Is this the same as a police certificate which is also used for immigration purposes? I'm in BC but cane from Florida so I certainly hope this is something I can do remotely. I was fingerprinted in Florida when I for my concealed carry permit there but obviously I know such a permit is not possible here.

Is an ATT needed for I think what's called a non restricted firearm (e.g, a typical bolt action hunting rifle be it a rimfire or centerfire with a standard sizedbarrel) ? I understand that an ATT is not needed in this case.

Given I am an American citizen and assuming I get the PAL, could I purchase a (non restricted) firearm in the states and bring it back to Canada myself as long as I declare it to CBSA and then presumably to RCMP? It seems prices are far lower and I wouldn't have any extended waiting period back in the states based past experience where I've lived.

Thoughts on a local or nearby outfit in Vancouver or the lower mainland to take the safety course? I'd consider it a bonus to find a shop that has good equipment and resources.

Finally any suggestions on where to meet people with an interest in firearms and hunting in particular? Once I get things going with the PAL it would be great to meet some folks who are experienced hunters and willing to share their knowledge with someone newer to that sport.

Cheers and thank you.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Elle308

Waynetheman (11-10-2016)