Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My favourite moment was when I was a range officer at an indoor range in a mall where the general public could rent firearms.

A lady and her man came in, the man was the body builder, skater boy hat on backwards type, joking around about how he knew a lot about guns etc, and the girl was the silent shy type. I gave them the usual spiel about safety rules and how to operate the firearms safely, and then they went to it. As they shot I gave them instruction on how to improve their technique, each focusing on their own target and unaware of how the other was doing. When they came out of the range the staff said "how'd you do?" and the lady held up her target with a big grin on her face and there was about a 3" hole in the center with a few earlier shots here and there, and the guy had rosy cheeks and looked rather embarassed. His target looked like it had been shot at with a 6" barreled shotgun with buckshot hahaha he just stared at the ground and drug her out of there as fast as he could.

It turns out after working there for a while I learned women are much better at taking constructive criticism and applying it to their shooting ability, because that situation was not a rare occurrence haha. Priceless.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By driller212

MarkR (01-15-2020)

I was 16 years old, and saw an ad in a local newspaper for a Winchester / Cooey .22LR semi-auto rifle for sale at K-Mart Canada. I still remember that my Dad had to go with me to the local store, and act/vouch for me as my sponsor because I think you had to be 18 to buy a gun back then by yourself. The clerk showed us the rifle, and I was more than agog, as a young man who knew very little about firearms at all. It was a work of art from the smoothly finished natural wood stock and forend, to the dark steel barrel and action, with just a hint of blue. After we left the store, Dad gave me my first lessons in gun safety, as he had been in the military during WWII. He showed me what was what on the gun, and said, "you'd better be very careful with this, it's not a toy, and you don't get a second chance if you make a first mistake". I still remember those words to this day. About a week later, I got out to a friend's farm north of the town where I lived, proudly carrying my new rifle. I finally got the chance to press the loaded magazine into place, cycle the action to chamber the first round, and squeeze the trigger like my Dad had shown me. I felt the slight recoil, and heard the loud, unmistakable rimfire "snap" sound of the first discharge. I grazed the target on my first try, and on that day, I knew I had found my sport and my place in the universe. It was truly unforgettable.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By therealfullmentaljacket

MarkR (01-15-2020)