Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Martyr of Traditional Anarchy Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    A hunter safety course is a totally different thing, and varies from province to province.
    I just finished my AB Hunter's Ed Course. Learned a lot. Much better to take a class with real people and real instructors as you will learn more and learn better. I'm big on classroom. IMO just challenging a test doesn't give you everything you need to know. Would you want a 16 year old who has never been behind the wheel of a car to challenge the test, pass it and then go on the street without any practical instruction?
    Our gun laws are so strict that it's like having a complete gun ban but with Vaseline...

If the hunters ed course, or the cfsc had the same amount of useful info as the driver training course it would be amazing. While I will accept that the hunters ed course has useful info for those who have never hunted, or been outdoors, or taken a basic first aid course, the cfsc is full of errors, misinformation, as well as many factual errors.

And being in a classroom does not equal good training either. The instructor cabelas hired to teach the csfc course informed the class that using a pistol mag in a rifle was illegal, nr firearms need to be trigger locked at all times, and transported in a locked case, it was illegal to shokt on crown land without a hunting license, I spent more time going over the correct laws and regulations with my wife than she spent in the course
    Last edited by Haywire1; 11-09-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Martyr of Traditional Anarchy Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire1 View Post
    If the hunters ed course, or the cfsc had the same amount of useful info as the driver training course it would be amazing. While I will accept that the hunters ed course has useful info for those who have never hunted, or been outdoors, or taken a basic first aid course, the cfsc is full of errors, misinformation, as well as many factual errors.

And being in a classroom does not equal good training either. The instructor cabelas hired to teach the csfc course informed the class that using a pistol mag in a rifle was illegal, nr firearms need to be trigger locked at all times, and transported in a locked case, it was illegal to shokt on crown land without a hunting license, I spent more time going over the correct laws and regulations with my wife than she spent in the course
    Point taken. But then there are the good cfsc instructors like I had; ex- Calgary cop and prison guard, currently a gun owner, raised in the NWT, hunted all his life... Guess I just had a good experience.
    Our gun laws are so strict that it's like having a complete gun ban but with Vaseline...

I took the hunter course after getting my PAL and because I already had it, I didn't have to do the gun handling portion of the hunting exam. This was in BC.
    "What he is proposing to do is to make Canada great again! That is not what Canadians want! " - Justin Trudeau

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123