Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    You could recycle an ice shack for summer use. Mine sleeps four and has lights/kitchen/TV/DVD.

Laid Back Workaholic
    I have a different idea for the portable hunt camp , I have a small trailer I'm going to modify , effectively it'll be like a popup tent trailer but heavy duty enough to use in the bush. And light enough to tow in with a side by side. Once I get this project moving I'll take pics as I go
    Last edited by rottweilerboy; 04-05-2015 at 09:01 AM.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By rottweilerboy

lone-wolf (03-08-2015)

I don't think we'll be able to trailer in where we're going.... Guess I'll find out at the end of the month, we're taking the truck as far as it'll fit then switching to hiking. With or without snowshoes, weather the next couple weeks will determine.

The stove situation has resolved itself, we've managed to track down one on a deal. I'm still going to work on the propane tank idea when I get a chance, but this one should be able to handle a couple hunting seasons with the odd winter/spring camp thrown in. Working on shelter now....

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I don't think we'll be able to trailer in where we're going.... Guess I'll find out at the end of the month, we're taking the truck as far as it'll fit then switching to hiking. With or without snowshoes, weather the next couple weeks will determine.

The stove situation has resolved itself, we've managed to track down one on a deal. I'm still going to work on the propane tank idea when I get a chance, but this one should be able to handle a couple hunting seasons with the odd winter/spring camp thrown in. Working on shelter now....
    We had a homemade propane stove that a buddy would bring to camp - it actually worked quite well. My only complaint again is airflow - you need to be able to fine tune the air flow to slow the consumption of wood properly so you're not up feeding the damn thing every few hours and his lacked in that department a little. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do better with a little thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    We had a homemade propane stove that a buddy would bring to camp - it actually worked quite well. My only complaint again is airflow - you need to be able to fine tune the air flow to slow the consumption of wood properly so you're not up feeding the damn thing every few hours and his lacked in that department a little. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do better with a little thought.
    Proper dampers at both ends I'm thinking. That and a fairly airtight door, which I've got some ideas on. It's all those curvy edges that seem to throw people. I might just cut one end off and tack a flat plate on there....

Moose camp update!

Three day scouting trip last weekend, drove the truck in until it got stuck, then hiked another 500 yards in to the lakeshore.

Cut a little firewood.

I can't go anywhere with these guys and not find some creepy old cabin in the woods. Nobody's been to this one for at least four or five years judging from the logo on the beer cans.

So we just nylon tented it this time. The first night was a little nippy at -9, but a bottle of Southern Comfort took the edge off.... We wound up getting a great deal on a portable carport, and my service buddies got a military discount on a wood stove, I bought a chimney kit half price at Princess Auto. Right now we're working on a plywood end so we can get the stove ring mounted and install a man door with a small window. It'll make the trip out by boat in the fall, after a summer test run...
    Things are looking up! It took an 8km hike around the lake, mostly in the rain, to find a great spot to locate our fall camp. High, dry, level and well treed. Plenty of nice big creeks flowing in, every single one had a great big pile of moose crap right at the mouth. The run down cabin still had a (barely) functional stove as well, we fired it up and dried out our gear after a few hours of getting rained on. The place is a little too decrepit to make into our permanent stop, good to know where it is in a pinch though. It was a 2km duck walk over the wet ice back to camp after that, a couple ibuprofen made for a great sleep...
    Last edited by kennymo; 04-04-2015 at 10:43 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Laramie Longhorn (08-27-2015), lone-wolf (04-05-2015)

I've been thinking of building something in 4 foot sections that i could easily bolt together. Having read through this i may still for the walls, but so some sort of insulated tarp setup for the roof section. All pieces would easily fit into the box of a pick up, or in my case...the back of my yukon

Even though we've got the carport, I'm still looking at building something like this:

I'll probably do plywood on the end walls, have them break down into two or three pieces. And I might just run the tarp right to the ground rather than have those little pony walls on the sides. Trouble is I only own 1/4 of the carport, still need a little something for family time, etc....

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

lone-wolf (04-05-2015), tna0066 (04-07-2015)

Well, we finally got around to assembling the carport, that sucker is roomy, 10'x20' and 7' at the lowest part of the roof. We'll be living in roomy comfort for five days... I forgot to snap a few pics, but the end wall with the door, window and stove hole is still under construction anyway. A little duct tape on a few seams and we should be solidly bug resistant. Moose is a go on Sept. 30!

Trial by fire starts tomorrow AM. Almost got the gear sorted, just need to get a little laundry done before morning. Camp pics (and hopefully hunting pics) to follow when I get back in wireless range. See y'all Sunday evening....

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

lone-wolf (09-29-2015), Rory McCanuck (09-29-2015)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast