Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So I was so distracted by the fact that I had bought a german-made die that I forgot to check what side thread it is; I bought a right had die. The only options for left hand dies were Chinese, so I have one of those en route.

Also my Fastenal order is now at well over a week, so no work on the gun for some time.

Looking forward to seeing the results on this.

The SKS is a gateway gun, and I love to tinker. I haven't owned an SKS in years.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the results on this.

The SKS is a gateway gun, and I love to tinker. I haven't owned an SKS in years.
    The gateway to more SKS's.....I have three and I find myself wondering if that's enough....

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    The gateway to more SKS's.....I have three and I find myself wondering if that's enough....
    I thought 3 or 4 was enough ,but I was wrong.I find I now have 7 and that`s getting close to enough ,but I like a nice round number ,so 8 seems reasonable LOL

OH....3 of those are Chinese, the rest Russian.

To the OP ,very nice thread and project ,like it !!

As mentioned, the SKS is indeed a great gateway gun ,as I myself turned one into a Dragunov and another into an AK version.Both turned out nicely and were fun projects.

Keep it coming !

SC

www.hical.ca/
    Quote Originally Posted by max302 View Post
    So I was so distracted by the fact that I had bought a german-made die that I forgot to check what side thread it is; I bought a right had die. The only options for left hand dies were Chinese, so I have one of those en route.

Also my Fastenal order is now at well over a week, so no work on the gun for some time.
    If they are RH x 14 the CZ858 brakes will work on that.
    For all your shooting needs, at one place! www.hical.ca
    PAL, RPAL & CORE classes. palcore.ca
    Visit our store, 33154 1st ave, Mission, BC. Map
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 604-BUY-GUNS (604-289 4867)

www.hical.ca/
    We have a front sight kit just for people who want to remove the bayo lug assembly.

Here is the front sight with AK threads built in, It is same plane as the factory sights, so you can mix & match. It will allow you to remove the front sight /Bayo lug assembly. It also uses any AK muzzle brake, & we have a LOT of different brakes in stock, HERE!

For all your shooting needs, at one place! www.hical.ca
    PAL, RPAL & CORE classes. palcore.ca
    Visit our store, 33154 1st ave, Mission, BC. Map
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 604-BUY-GUNS (604-289 4867)

Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit too late for that.

Got the brake last week:

LH die is due any time now. Found the resin I was looking for, I'll start filling in the stock this week, maybe attempt bedding some time next weekend.

Now all I need is a set of solid carbide countersinks, that's probably gonna run me the price of the gun :S.

Back from the dead

Believe it or not, the gun has been in parts all this time. Life got in the way of messing around with this stuff. I tried tapping the barrel without cutting it off as a test, the threads looked great but they were very crooked. Chopped off half an inch, threaded, still crooked. At this point, I got tired of trying and chucked it in the safe.

Months, later, got tired of the bare action laying around in my safe, so I brought it to a first machine shop back in late August. After well over a month of telling me they were gonna look into it, I took it back. While getting a job done for wheels on my truck, I asked another machine shop, they were down to do it and they had proved to be much more efficient at getting stuff done. I had the crooked thread chopped off, the muzzle recrowned and threads dones on a lath. They are perfectly aligned now. To be honest, save yourself the money and go straight to a machine shop if you want this done to yours. If you value your time at anything over minimum wage, it's totally worth the 80$ or so I paid to get it done right the first time. As a bonus, I didn't have to buy a recrowning tool.

The barrel is now at approximately 18.75" without the brake, or well within the limits of the law. I remounted my Krinkov-style front sight and the stock cap on the barrel, and mocked up the gun in assembled for. It looks like this:

Closeup on the assembled front sight:

I've tried assembling the anchors in the stock, and it's not going as planned. After breaking 3 expensive drill bits in the receiver for the side holes, I gave up. The rear I was able to drill through and countersink properly (it took hours), but the insert doesn't have enough wood around it to work correctly. I'll probably fill the rear hole with fiberglass resin and tap directly into that, and forget the side mounting points altogether.

I've also started glassing-in the bayonnet and cleaning rod channels in the stock, but I've been doing that at work, so no pictures of that. If I can get my hands on proper release agent, I might tried to bed the back end of the barreled action just to practice bedding with regular fiberglass resin; I have a few of my bolt guns I'd like to bed properly.

Techsights will probably be on order during the Christmas break, giving me time to work on the stock and refinish it. Sight radius is about 3-4 inches better than with the regular sights, according to my calculations. With the stock rear sight, it's 9 inches.

If all goes well I might be shooting this thing before the third quarter of 2016.

Now that I know where and how to get proper chop and thread jobs done, I really want to do a shorty SKS with a threaded and welded-on AK style brake at a flush 18.5 and some sort of micro-red dot mounted on the front portion of the receiver or something. But I'll hold off until this one is finished.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By max302

glockfan (11-29-2015), zulu (11-28-2015)

That homemade gas block sight really changes the look of things. Interesting stuff.

Interesting build.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast