Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Baconeer VancouverSkiBum's Avatar

Ruger American Ranch Rifle - Pictures and Info Thread

With these rifles starting to trickle in from the states soon, they caught my eye . A MSRP of 499$ (could be more) and chambered for .556/.223.

With the heavyish 1/8 twist barrel profile, paired with the short length, AND threaded, it was a instant favorite for me! Along with a Free floating barrel, and Rugers V style bedding and accutrigger(3-5lbs), this is sure to be an accurate varmint rig. Comes with one 5 round Plastic Rotary Magazine that seems to be well made and can have rounds pushed right in from the top. The Rubber recoil pad feels nice and soft and mushy, its actually amazing, I wish I had it on my '06 and 12g.

I was on a pre order list at no charge, but saw one used for only 40 rounds, so I jumped.

It just feels well built. Nice thick receiver and barrel.

I decided to pair it with a Bushnell AR optics 4.5 - 18 x 40 with BDC reticle for 55-62gr bullets, in Leupold 1'' Med PRW rings from Reliable Gun, a Dlask A6 Brake from Dlask, an Allen Company Buttstock Shell Holder and Pouch , and a Caldwell 13-24'' bipod (Amazon). The Brake needed no washer and was almost a perfect index, it just needed a min with a file to take off the smallest bit and voila! Took it to the range with some factory loads just to sight in, ran out of time for anything special.

***** A small note. With this scope, Burris med rings were about 1/16 inch to short due to the extruding pin under the scope. The med. Leupolds gave the scope enough clearance, just barely. Perfect. No issues with bolt clearance.

I have H335 and 55g Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets in the mail.

********** Update Post 5, 9 **********

Here are some pics!

I be sure to update with some loads and groups after I get my stuff in the mail. Would like to see other peoples same rifle, and info on it! Cheers!
    Last edited by VancouverSkiBum; 04-14-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    I looked and looked but I didn't see God. - Yuri Gagarin, 14 April 1961

When I die, my atoms will come undone; ill be space dust, once again. The wind will carry me; Scatter me everywhere; Like dandelions in the springtime. Ill visit worlds and alien moons; It will be so damn poetic... Until I land on your sandwich.

http://i.imgur.com/wZbDShd.gif

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By VancouverSkiBum

lone-wolf (04-02-2015), Satain (04-07-2015)

Looks good.

Very nice.
    I haven't had a chance to see a Ranch, but I have seen an American Rifle.
    While not real pretty, everything felt good and everything was in the right place.
    I'm interested to hear how it shoots for you.

Actually doesn't look half bad in the tan. They seem like good rifles, just a tad fugly IMO...

i really like the tan. stock feels nice too.

When I die, my atoms will come undone; ill be space dust, once again. The wind will carry me; Scatter me everywhere; Like dandelions in the springtime. Ill visit worlds and alien moons; It will be so damn poetic... Until I land on your sandwich.

Nice rig. I just scored an American in .308 with wolf camo stock for a really good price. Still waiting on the scope tho...Interested in picking up an American predator model...likely in same calibre...

I was looking a the predator model too. I believe its also threaded. both of them are nice.

Did a little testing today. Pretty sure its the ammo, groupings were not very good. Rifle functioned flawlessly though. Here's 2 pictures, shot from 100 yards, using S&B 55g FMJ .223 REM. Scope "Zeroed" at 100. 3rd picture is shooting at 200 yards holding on the blue X, 5 shots in 35 sec. These were the best groups out of a few I shot.

I hope to improve groupings when my reloading supplies get here. beautiful sunny day in Vancouver for Easter Sunday, No one at the range!! I expected to see a lot full of cars and a wait time, but empty!

Note the larger holes, that was from my 30-06, dont mind them.

Last edited by VancouverSkiBum; 04-06-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Yeah,i'll be in the market for a predato rin .308...maybe 6.5 creedmoor...the ranch in .300 blackout might be right up my alley as well....nice little rifles. though If I do go with a predator in .308, might fit out with iron sights...waiting on new vortex optics for American as of now...

Updated with more pictures.got my Nosler ballistic tips in the mail today, still waiting on the classic loader. Haven't been back to the range, not gonna bother with that S&B ammo, just save it for sh*ts and giggles i guess. on a side note, Cabelas wanted to charge me 180$ to ship 1lb of h335 to me... LOL... i was speechless on the phone. I promptly contacted Henry and shipping was 9$... I wonder what Cabelas is smoking!

Last edited by VancouverSkiBum; 04-14-2015 at 12:00 AM.

Where you watching ST:TNG while taking those pics, or do you have a poster of Wesley Crusher on your wall ?

Nice gun ! Looks like the brake real kills the recoil (not that a 223 has much...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast