Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am running this one on my next build, dlask a6
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Haywire1

Satain (04-10-2015)

VAIS. It not only cuts recoil, it doesn't increase sound, which is the bane of muzzle brakes. This sound thing is the VAIS claim to fame. Years ago, before anyone had them in Canada, I imported and I tried one on a 308 Win Ruger Laminate Compact (16" barrel) and went from killing my shoulder at 20 shots, to no problems after 50 shots. Not sure who carries it in Canada now, but well worth it (a little more money) and your ears will appreciate it.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

I would like to know what the factory brake is on my .300wm fcp-k. It's the same brake as the bas-k. I want to order another. I'm currently swaping it back and fourth to my xcr. I believe its one of the most efficient designs. While it is loud, and Id prefers quieter, braking is paramount.

It's not a scientific test but it is certainly well done, and consitent.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    VAIS. It not only cuts recoil, it doesn't increase sound, which is the bane of muzzle brakes. This sound thing is the VAIS claim to fame. Years ago, before anyone had them in Canada, I imported and I tried one on a 308 Win Ruger Laminate Compact (16" barrel) and went from killing my shoulder at 20 shots, to no problems after 50 shots. Not sure who carries it in Canada now, but well worth it (a little more money) and your ears will appreciate it.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
    NO brake makes the muzzle blast louder. To get an increase in decibel level you would require electronic amplification.
    ALL brakes create the first sonic boom at the first point that the bullet crosses anything between the crown and the first solid obstacle the bullet passes.
    Some brakes are much higher in efficiency of recoil reduction and muzzle climb than others, in these the expanding gasses are discharged more simultaneously, so the muzzle blast, NOT the sound level is increased.
    The Vais are mediocre at recoil reduction, do nothing for muzzle climb.
    There ARE better alternatives, but the cost more.

I don't want to sound macho - and I can't even if I wanted to, since I'm only 160 lbs and 5'7 - but I'm running a Ruger Gunsite in .308 without muzzle brake and recoil is totally manageable.

What I'd love is a suppressor, please Santa Harper pass a bill to legalize them

I'd definitely consider a muzzle brake if I had an AR-10, but with a bolt action rifle I'm not sure muzzle climb is a parameter - probably because I'm slow as a (back)hoe to reload
    Recoil reduction may be more related to your stock and overall gun balance.

A muzzle brake adds a lot of personality to a gun tho !
    Last edited by Fredo; 06-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    French Frank, not Euro trash.
    When in doubt, ask Steve!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123