Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...leeing-man-bac

5 Second Slow Mo Video Shows What REALLY Happened With Policeman Who Shot Fleeing Man In Back

The officer shooting the unarmed man in the back who was running away is – appropriately – front-page news.

But there’s a bigger story …

Initially – as Kit Daniels shows – the media believed that the officer shot in self-defense … until the video was released. If the brave witness hadn’t filmed the entire incident on his cellphone, the truth would never have been discovered.

The Intercept explains:

Because three days elapsed between the shooting and the publication of the video of the shooting, the Scott incident became an illuminating case study in the routinized process through which police officers, departments and attorneys frame the use of deadly force by American cops in the most sympathetic possible terms, often claiming fear of the very people they killed. In the days after the shooting, the police version of events — an utterly typical example of the form — was trotted out, only to be sharply contradicted when the video surfaced. In most cases like this, there is no video, no definitive, undisputed record of much of what happened, and thus no way to rebut inaccurate statements by the police.

The first report of the Saturday afternoon incident, from Charleston’s The Post and Courier, followed the usual script: The police department’s story portrayed the victim as behaving dangerously, in this case, purportedly struggling to take an officer’s Taser as part of a violent altercation. Family and friends of the slain black victim mourned his loss and questioned the narrative offered by authorities.

The pro-police spin continued two days later, when a lawyer for Michael Slager, the officer who shot Scott, said Scott “tried to overpower” his client, who “felt threatened and reached for his department-issued firearm and fired his weapon.” Scott’s family and allies could do little more than note that Scott was unarmed, and call for the truth to somehow emerge.
    A former U.S. Marshal reveals that law enforcement is trained to justify deadly force by pretending that they felt threatened by the suspect:

Moreover, police have shot people in the back and killed them as they ran away many times before. Here are a couple of recent examples, which happen to have been caught on tape:

An unarmed man running away in Long Beach, California
    An unarmed man in Muskogee, Oklahoma (video)
    A man in Pasco, Washington
    An innocent artist in Utah who liked to dress up in anime (and see this)
    Moreover, police often frame innocent suspects.

They also plant weapons on people, as “justification” for shooting them. The practice is so well-known that the New York Times noted in 1981:

In police jargon, a throwdown is a weapon planted on a victim.
    Newsweek reported in 1999:

Perez, himself a former [Los Angeles Police Department] cop, was caught stealing eight pounds of cocaine from police evidence lockers. After pleading guilty in September, he bargained for a lighter sentence by telling an appalling story of attempted murder and a “throwdown”–police slang for a weapon planted by cops to make a shooting legally justifiable. Perez said he and his partner, Officer Nino Durden, shot an unarmed 18th Street Gang member named Javier Ovando, then planted a semiautomatic rifle on the unconscious suspect and claimed that Ovando had tried to shoot them during a stakeout.
    Wikipedia notes:

As part of his plea bargain, Pérez implicated scores of officers from the Rampart Division’s anti-gang unit, describing routinely beating gang members, planting evidence on suspects, falsifying reports and covering up unprovoked shootings.
    Here, officer Slager was caught on film planting his taser on Walter Scott after he had already killed Scott:

http://i.imgur.com/DTYSXXC.gif

(This is a slow motion excerpt from the video.)

Why is this happening?

One reason is that many law enforcement officers consider failure to comply with the officers’ demands as a basis for using lethal force.

Police have become so militarized in modern America that – in the words of civil rights and constitutional attorney John Whitehead – “the only truly compliant, submissive citizen in a police state is a dead one.”

Of course, if we had the rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution, this would not be such a problem. Sadly, we’ve lost virtually all of those rights.

No wonder you’re 55 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist.
    Sad to say - I'm sure a lot of American's (maybe here) share this sentiment:

Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 04-10-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Walter Scott's family has apparently told Al Sharpton to piss up a rope, which is a pleasant change of pace...

http://conservativepost.com/breaking...n-circus-away/

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Rory McCanuck (04-10-2015), Swampdonkey (04-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Walter Scott's family has apparently told Al Sharpton to piss up a rope, which is a pleasant change of pace...

http://conservativepost.com/breaking...n-circus-away/
    That is nice to see. I hope they do get a good lawyer but they don't need that creep and his race circus running around stirring up riots.

Wow - the police officer is a complete moron.

8 month pregnant wife and he shots a man in cold blood and frames him.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/south-carol...ry?id=30207558

South Carolina Police Officer's Mom Speaks Out in Tearful Interview

The mother of the South Carolina police officer who is seen in a video fatally shooting a man said that she cannot bring herself to watch the video.

"I just can't," Karen Sharpe, the mother of now-fired Police Officer Michael Slager, told ABC News. "Maybe to some people, 'Well, you're being in denial,' but I'm sorry I just can't. I just I know how Michael is."

Slager, 33, was arrested Tuesday and charged with the murder of Walter Scott, 50, in North Charleston on Saturday morning after Slager pulled Scott over due to a broken tail-light, authorities said. A witness recorded the encounter between the two men and Slager is seen firing eight shots at Scott as he runs away from the officer.

Video Cited By Police in Murder Charges Shows Officer Shooting Driver
    Walter Scott Police Shooting 'Tore My Heart to Pieces,' Victim's Mother Says
    Police Shooting Witness Says He Saw Officer Drop Something by Walter Scott's Body
    Walter Scott SC Shooting Draws New Scrutiny to Michael Slager's Record
    Sharpe said that her son "loved being a police officer" and she is struggling to hold their family together. Slager's wife is eight months pregnant and Sharpe told ABC News that she had to accompany her daughter-in-law to an appointment with her doctor as a substitute for her son now that he is in jail.

"He has a little baby on the way, due next month, and they worked so hard for this baby," Sharpe said. "I know he would go to all the appointments, all the OB appointments, and he had to miss it today."

"She was just so sad because he was not there and I know that he would not do something purposeful to not be able to be with his wife during the delivery. They just tried so hard for this," Sharpe said.

PHOTO: North Charleston Police Officer Michael Slager has been placed on administrative leave after fatally shooting a motorist on April 4, 2015. City of North Charleston Police Department
    PHOTO: North Charleston Police Officer Michael Slager has been placed on administrative leave after fatally shooting a motorist on April 4, 2015.
    In an emotional interview Thursday afternoon, Sharpe said that she has been praying for the Scott family.

"Their life will never be the same again and my life will never be the same again," Sharpe said. "Even though they're not the same things that have happened, I know there are changes in both their family and my family ... and that's the part that bothers me. They've changed forever,"

"I just have to let it be and hope God takes care of everybody involved -- not only my family but the Scott's family -- because I know they're grieving just like I'm grieving," she said.

“Nobody likes to see their child sitting in prison," Sharpe said. "You don’t think it is something that will ever happen to you, but I have to just believe that... I just have to believe that everything will work out."

Sharpe said that she could not think about the possible death sentence facing her son, and denied that race was a factor in the shooting.

"It is very hard because it has never been a racial thing. He was not grown up that way. He was not taught that. I don’t — it is not a racial thing," Sharpe said.

"He was doing a job, he was doing what he thought he needed to do so that’s the way I needed to look at it," she said.

Slager has yet to enter a plea. Over the weekend, Slager was represented by attorney David Aylor, who gave a statement saying that Slager "followed all the proper procedures and policies” but Aylor resigned after the video was released on Tuesday and confirmed to ABC News that he is no longer representing Slager.

During a call to dispatch immediately after the shooting on Saturday morning, Slager said: "Shots fired and the subject is down, he took my taser," according to the police incident report.

Man - interview with the guy who filmed the video.

This man is a hero.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/wal...ks-out-n338126

Walter Scott Death: Bystander Who Recorded Cop Shooting Speaks Out
    BY PHIL HELSEL

Man who recorded Walter Scott shooting: 'I'm still scared'TODAY

The bystander who captured on video a white police officer shooting an apparently unarmed black man in the back in South Carolina thought about erasing the recording over fears of retaliation.

The video recorded by Feidin Santana shocked the nation when it was released this week. The footage resulted in Officer Michael Slager, 33, being arrested and charged with murder Tuesday for the shooting death of Walter Scott, 50, after a traffic stop in North Charleston Saturday.

"I won't deny that I knew the magnitude of this, and I even thought about erasing the video," Santana said in an interview on MSNBC's "All In With Chris Hayes" Wednesday.

"I felt that my life, with this information, might be in danger. I thought about erasing the video and just getting out of the community, you know Charleston, and living some place else," the 23-year-old said. "I knew the cop didn't do the right thing."

In an interview with TODAY's Matt Lauer on Thursday, Santana said: "I'm still scared."

"I say life changed in a matter of seconds. I never thought this would happen, that I would be a witness," he told TODAY's Matt Lauer in an exclusive interview Thursday. "I'm still scared."

Earlier Wednesday, Santana revealed himself as the videographer to "NBC Nightly News" anchor Lester Holt in his first interview since the shooting, and said Slager and Scott did struggle before the encounter turned deadly. But he said the officer did not appear to be in danger when he opened fire.

"Before I started recording, they were down on the floor. I remember the police [officer] had control of the situation," Santana said. "He had control of Scott. And Scott was trying just to get away from the Taser. But like I said, he never used the Taser against the cop."

"As you can see in the video, the police officer just shot him in the back," Santana said. "I knew right away, I had something on my hands."

A Closer Look at the Walter Scott ShootingNBCNEWS.COM

Slager claimed Scott took his Taser and that he feared for his life. The video shows an object being thrown to the ground and Scott running away, and a delay before the officer fires seven times, pauses, and fires an eighth time.

Scott's parents told TODAY on Wednesday they believe Scott fled from Slager because he owed child support and didn't want to go to jail again.

Santana said he turned over the video after reading the police report and hearing about it on the news. "It wasn't like that, the way they were saying," Santana said on MSNBC. "I said, 'No ... this is not what happened.'"

Santana told NBC News that when he turned over the video to Scott's family, "they were very emotional when that happened, including me also."

"I thought about his position, their situation ... If I were to have a family member that would happen [to], I would like to know the truth," Santana said.

He has been called a "hero" by attorneys for the family, but Santana said there are no winners in the situation.

"It's not something that no one can feel happy about. He has his family, Mr. Scott also has his family," Santana told NBC News. "But I think, you know, he [the officer] made a bad decision, and you pay for your decisions in this life."

Anger Boils Over in North Charleston After Walter Scott ShootingNIGHTLY NEWS

"Mr. Scott didn't deserve this, and there were other ways that can be used to get him arrested, and that wasn't the proper way to do that."

Police Chief Eddie Driggers said when he watched the video of the encounter, "I was sickened by what I saw."

North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey announced Wednesday that Slager was fired. He also ordered body cameras for the police force. Every officer on the street will wear one after a policy is established and the force is trained, Summey said.

Slager is being held without bond at Charleston County Jail.

5 Second Slow Mo Video Shows What REALLY Happened With Policeman Who Shot Fleeing Man In Back
    And that other cop is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    And that other cop is right there.
    thats one of the first things i thought too
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Funny how so many here believe US police are abusive and corrupt, but believe the RCMP account of Cst. Koester in Houston and thought Cst Mantler in Kelowna was a one-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
    Funny how so many here believe US police are abusive and corrupt, but believe the RCMP account of Cst. Koester in Houston and thought Cst Mantler in Kelowna was a one-off.
    I don't think anyone believes they were 'one offs' in the sense that they don't occur. I think that it's a matter of pervasiveness. There's pretty clear signs of systemic issues with the forces south of the border especially in relation to black people. There's a number of incidents up here and signs that a) there's a problem, even if it's not quite so pervasive and b) the problem may be growing. But - i think there's a general perception that we have a much smaller problem AT THIS POINT. However - after the vancouver airport tazering and subsequent lying, the one's you mentioned, the 'starlight tours' the vpd got caught doing some years ago, the killing of that kid on that bus, etc I think the days when we believe there's no problem are probably in the rear view mirror.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Foxer

Gunexpert007 (04-11-2015)

Isn't Mantler in line for Paulsons job?
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast