Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Shouldn't most people just assume that people have firearms in the house?
    Tell them you have a car in the driveway, that's considerably more dangerous.
    I picked up 2 girls hitchhiking along the Cabot Trail two days ago. They were from Germany. Das cuten patooten. They were terrified of the shotgun in the back that was sitting there. Once they realized they were due for no harm and I explained it's legal, they got a big kick out of it. "If only mom could see me now!"

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By CaperJim

Edenchef (06-05-2015), Hardhead (06-05-2015), Rory McCanuck (06-05-2015)

Kitchen knives or drain cleaner are more of a hazard than stored firearms. It would be a wtf moment if this thread was about telling the neighbours that you have kitchen knives or use draino.

Personally, I keep my firearms in areas that are "off limits" to kids anyway (for more than just that reason).
    Go Pig or Go Home

I would not tell them ahead of time. I would make sure that your kids understand that they can see your guns any time they want, and you will take them out. Also let them know if their friends want to see them, you will show them. This should take away any desire for the kids to sneak around behind your back, and play with, or show their friends your guns. If they request you show them to their friends, I would run it by their parents at that time. If you treat them as taboo, the kids will want to find them.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By sallen

Rory McCanuck (06-05-2015)

Yes you should talk to your neighbours. That's what good neighbours do! About your guns? Sure, share your hobby. Invite them to join you. Not as a warning. They may bring up concerns if they're ignorant about them. Use to opportunity to educate. You will have them safely stored for your own kids safety, no need to be worried about it beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    For some brain washed reason, you're looking for approval from your neighbors for your hobby. If you bought a fast motorcycle, would you do the same ? If you bought a riding mower, would you seek their approval for that ? I don't need my neighbor's approval for stuff that doesn't effect them. My neighbors should be no more concerned about my guns than they are about my fishing rod. If there is ever a question about it being dangerous, ask them straight out...in a non-apologetic way, what rational reasoning they used to come to believe there was the slightest question of safety. The news ? The news sensationalizes every damned thing to the greatest possible extent, up to and including inventing complete fabrications, and calling them facts, to make their story get one more hit on the internet. Any neighbor who would blindly believe what they read on the internet or see on the news as absolute truth is a moron who isn't worth my intellectual time.
    It's interesting to me how firearms owners have been ostracized to the point that many feel the activity should be hidden. I did for years. Then I learned more about the political climate and realized I may not get to continue to enjoy my sport if things continued as is. I now talk freely about it with others and educate on how safe and enjoyable shooting is (a little more diplomatic than above). I invite anyone interested to join me on the range and encourage them all to get licensed when they have a good time.

Came to say, 'invite them shooting. Invite their kids shooting with your kids.' Same as any other hobby.

But if you go to them treating your own hobby like it's so dangerous that you need to warn them that their kids will be exposed to the evil rays emanating off of your guns, they're going to believe you. If you treat your hobby like any other, they're more likely to, as well.

The kids can find any number of things in the kitchen, bathroom, workshop, etc etc, far more dangerous than your guns, assuming you follow the absolute basics of responsible gun storage.

Quote Originally Posted by CaperJim View Post
    I picked up 2 girls hitchhiking along the Cabot Trail two days ago. They were from Germany. Das cuten patooten. They were terrified of the shotgun in the back that was sitting there. Once they realized they were due for no harm and I explained it's legal, they got a big kick out of it. "If only mom could see me now!"
    They were likely city folk,(they seem to be the same everywhere), as Germans are no strangers to guns. Some of their laws are more lax than ours.

So I realize that I'm months late to the party on this one, I think my "Join Date" explains why. After reading through the previous posts I can't help but notice that it hasn't been directly mentioned that part of safe and responsible firearms storage (as covered in the CFSC/CRFSC manuals) involves educating others in the home about being around firearms. While that doesn't mean that you have to teach them how to use it or bring them up to PAL or RPAL standards it does mean that you should ensure that they have enough knowledge about firearms that they are comfortable being around them and have enough knowledge about the potential risks of mishandling a firearm that they don't feel the urge to handle them unsupervised.

With that, in direct response to the original post, if your neighbours' children spend a considerable amount of time in your home and there aren't areas that are considered off-limits (or if you have reason to believe that those boundaries won't be respected, they are kids after all) then the answer is yes, you should definitely talk to your neighbours about owning a firearm. If they are uncomfortable with the idea of their children being around firearms then you should do your best to educate them as you would someone in your own home and get their consent to do the same with their children.

Firearm ownership may have a stigma surrounding it in the eyes of many, but that group should not include firearms owners themselves. Those who have been educated about responsible firearm ownership are the only people who can help remove that stigma, and whenever possible we should make a proper effort to do so. We don't have to treat it like a religion or a political campaign and go knocking door to door, just recognize the proper times to address the issue and take the time to do it.

I don't think there is any reason for you to bring the topic up. As long as you are responsible with your gun ownership and use reasonable discretion there is no reason for your gun ownership or interest to be anyone else's business (unless you want it to be). It has never been an issue for me where on my street many kids live. They are completely safe as I am a very responsible gun owner. My interest does not affect the day to day life of my neighbours nor their kids.

To a degree, obscurity is security. We should be proud gun owners, and I do talk to people about guns quite a bit. But - maybe wait for it to come up before going to them. If you make a big deal of it, they'll think it's a big deal. It's much better to be in a position down the road to say 'oh those? Sure - i've owned them for years. we can talk about them if you like' rather than "i'm about to do something and i'm coming to you first to give you a chance to voice an opinion i don't intend to do anything about if i dislike."

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Foxer

PatchRat (09-23-2015)

RobertMcC
    I lived here 3 years and I never brought it up. I lie to what they are. Even neighbor said flat out she hates firearms, don't like to be around them ( shes moving anyways )

Less they know the better. Or as they say....Nunya Business.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast