Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Security through obscurity here as well. Mostly because I don't want to be a target of petty criminals more than I'm concerned about neighbors.

I mean, I won't put up a "this house protected by smith and Wesson" sign or anything.

But I'll engage with anyone who wants to talk. It's known at work what I do for fun.

Couching anything as a caution or warning is bad, because it puts you at a disadvantage and makes your place and even yourself seem dangerous.

It's not as though you have an alligator farm in your swimming pool, or anything.

Security through Obscurity is no security at all; just ask an ostrich. (Yes, yes, I know.)

However, this doesn't mean you need to advertise anything. Would you feel the need to warn your neighbours about, oh, the chemicals under your sink? The workshop full of tools? The sacks of fertilizer out back, and the jerry can of diesel? Kitchen knives? Electrical outlets?

And as Mark-II points out, would you casually mention your catalog of jewelry, or other valuables?

RobertMcC
    Don't ask, don't tell.

If you are properly storing your firearms, I don't see a single situation where they would need to know, there is zero chance of them seeing the guns, much less getting hurt by them.

I would agree with Haywire. If it comes up, then don't be shy about it but I don't think they need to be informed out of safety concerns or anything. If they are really worried they can bring it up with you themselves and you can tell them how safely you handle your firearms.

I lived adjacent to my landlord at the time for a year. He is fairly anti-hunting and somewhat anti-gun. I never told him that I was cleaning shotguns and ducks in the next room, and what he didn't know never hurt either of us. Ignorance is bliss my friend.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Klorem

Rory McCanuck (04-11-2016)

i dont speak with my neighbors yeah im that guy i keep to myself and prefer they do the same ,,a nod is all the talking i do maybe a good morning and if they wonder what the long black cases i am carrying are then they could ask ,,,
    i dont care what their hobbies are live and let live
    Disarming the victims is not gun control
    Veritas Aequitas
    CSSA Member

8. The Following User Liked This Post By chadeech

glockfan (02-21-2017)

Why do so many gun owners feel the need to find an excuse to let people know they have guns?

Do I need to tell police I have a gun in the car......
    Using your PAL as I.D. whenever you get the chance (and then surprised they have no idea what it is)

If neighbours ask because their kids come over, discuss it. Otherwise it's just another hobby and no one's business.

If you feel its necessary then yes, go right ahead.

I believe you should teach your kids about gun safety. However, you should always lock your guns up or disable them using a bicycle chain style gun lock when not in use, because curiosity can killed the cat:

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi05 View Post
    Why do so many gun owners feel the need to find an excuse to let people know they have guns?...
    It makes the idea of ownership more common, less unusual and less scary.
    The more people that know or are personally aware of people that own firearms and did not read about them in the news, the better.
    If you hide something long enough it becomes unusual, deviant and taboo.

I'm not suggesting anyone hide the fact. I certainly don't.

But neither do I feel the need to introduce myself to a neighbor and tell them I have guns, (just so you know in case your kid comes over) or to use my PAL as ID.

If someone asks what I do for fun - guns. What do I spend my money on - guns.

Maybe I just have an aversion to bringing it up first.

"Afternoon officer, I feel I should let you know I have several firearms in the trunk".

As to the OP, obviously I don't think you need to let the neighbours know. Just make sure the kids can't access them. If the neighbours ask if you have guns in the house say yeah, why? Go from there as you see fit.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast