Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

NEA-15 Input or reviews

Hi. Any input on the Canadian AR-15, the NEA-15? Thanx.
    Real men wear aprons. 2B1Ask1

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

I own one, I mounted a Vortex Sparc 2 on it.
    Great gun for the price and a good shooter, and made in Canada to boot. Got mine on sale at Frontier Firearms for $200.00 off for $999.00.
    When Life Hands You Lemons
    Reach for the Tequila and Salt

No issue with my 300AAC other than the gas key needing a re-stake.

I built one of the lowers that sfrc was blowing out. The bolt catch pin hole was over sized, but that just meant not having to dick with pounding an awkward pin in and giving it a shot of blue locktite to snug it.

I also briefly had a 7.5" 5.56 upper, but it was more obnoxious than fun.

So...l see nothing to prevent me buying another, if they make something that I need.

Still waiting for the rim fire upper to show up.

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    My take on NEA is for the money, they're bad.

AR's fall into five categories for the most part.

$600-750 ultra cheap, Norinco, DPMS and such.

$700-900 is usually value brand like Bushmaster, Core, Windham Weaponry, etc

$1200-1500 high end Colt, Colt Canada, FN, etc.

$1500-2000 very high end, Daniel Defense, LMT, Larue, etc

$2000+ Boutique guns, KAC, Novesky, H&K, etc

The main difference will occur between value brand and high end categories.

Guns of the value price range do 99% of what guns from the high end range do. The extra money you pay is for the QC. Typically the only time somebody will ever find out the difference is if they do some 1000rd torture test running mag dump after mag dump and even full-auto fire. Some of the value brand AR15 rifles use springs, weight of parts, gas port size designed for use with commercial ammo which is what 90% of people shoot instead of NATO pressure ammo. They do batch testing instead of testing each individual component, so sometimes you'll get the occasional bad apple which doesn't matter because it's a range toy and when it goes down you go home and get a free replacement part because the value brand companies still all have awesome warranty. You pay the extra money for a high end gun for that extra reassurance that it won't fail.

NEA prices itself around the $1000 mark and when our dollar was at par IRG was selling Colt rifles for $1000 CAD flat. You just can't compete with that. They're not enough of an upgrade over Norinco to justify the extra $300 and they aren't close to Colt level of quality to justify the similar price.

While I hate mentioning the site, if were to help people here we need to inform them properly. CGN (the other gun website) has a lot of bad things to say about NEA rifles.

I'll quote myself from another post. You owe it to yourself to make an account there and read these threads before you buy NEA.

Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post
    NEA was part of a shilling scandal on CGN. For a while numerous threads documenting the poor QC along with catastrophic failures were simply buried by the admin team on that site. One day the amount of threads with pictures showing laughable quality control and catastrophic failures reached critical mass, even the CGN admin team which only cares for increasing revenue to their site HAD to let them stay up since it was becoming a running joke and really exposing CGN as a shill enabler if they continued to bury the threads. The original thread that started it all was titled "NEA KABOOM", completely scrubbed from history at CGN but if you look up google cache or try it on internet wayback time machine you can find it. If you're an AR15 guy it's worth a read.

Guns from all manufactures have blown up at some point, but given NEA is such a small company with such a small market share. The amount of issues for the given market share is ridiculously high. I haven't even heard of that many failures from Norinco guns and their price point is at par with Colt which makes the matter even more laughable. The owner was once quoted saying on the site "Our rifles are as good as LMT".

Some will say "that was only first gen rifles" except recently there have been some very well documented threads showing some serious problems. You'll need a CGN account. I hate the place but it's definitively worthy of a read, it's got pictures and all too.

Here is another one, a pool about the issue along with various peoples thoughts on it.

Thanx all
    Real men wear aprons. 2B1Ask1

NEA has been a complete nightmare ranging from very poor customer service to severe firearm defects requiring multiple returns for warranty. Expect many weeks to have your firearm repaired for each time you send it back. Easily the worst firearm purchase of my collection. Avoid NEA at all cost.

I have one with 7000 rounds through it. Works fine. It's not a gen 1 though, which I hear had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FireAtWill View Post
    NEA has been a complete nightmare ranging from very poor customer service to severe firearm defects requiring multiple returns for warranty. Expect many weeks to have your firearm repaired for each time you send it back. Easily the worst firearm purchase of my collection. Avoid NEA at all cost.
    Necropost much? Sounds like you have an early Gen 1 gun. Good friend of mine has a newer one, shoots the hell out of it and no complaints.
    General purpose troublemaker with a few gems of knowledge from time to time. Yep. I'm the same in real life too.
    GOC's Official, Unofficial 10mm Auto fanboy. So rabid that I'm willing to tell off mods and happily take the infraction.

I bought mine on sale to put them into the Cheap range.

With that in mind, and the higher price of Norc these days, I'd still buy one.

But I only operate recreationally
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Grizz Axxemann (05-20-2017)

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast