Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Those $500 kits on garand guy is for making a BM 59E it seems. What's the difference in parts, might be cheaper getting that, and sourcing a few other parts to make it a traditional garand.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by H.K.Glock 007 View Post
    Hello?
    For best results, send Marshall an e-mail. You'll find all the contact info at the Aztech link near the top of the page. The sponsors don't always have time to check the forum several times a day, and sometimes a thread gets missed. E-mail or pick up the phone. Aztech is pretty good to deal with so far as personal experience would lead me to believe.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

www.aztecharmory.ca
    Sorry... took the long weekend off and have been a little slow getting caught up.

the BM 59 is actually a prohib, so it's not really a viable option to build one. I'm not an expert, but I believe it would be hard to make a traditional Garand from one of those kits. The biggest issue is the BM 59 is magazine fed as opposed to the clip. Also, the BM 59 kits come with the 7.62 NATO (.308) barrel, so to build a traditional rifle you would need to get an'06 barrel.
    My advice is to go with the regular kit and save the hassle and possible extra expense.
    It's Not Always a Matter of Need...

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Marshall

lone-wolf (07-07-2016)

www.aztecharmory.ca
    Just talked to Tony "The Garand Guy" and he confirmed that the BM 59 kits are not a good option to build a traditional Garand. As mentioned they come with a .308 barrel for starters and the stock is definitely different to allow for the box magazine. You would need to add a piece back in to the bottom of the stock in order to make the lower plate fit. You would also need to get the proper lower plate and somehow attach it or get a proper trigger group with the plate in place. Plus the op-rod is shorter on the BM 59 so it wouldn't work with a .30-'06 set up.
    He did say that he could put together a .308 kit using most of the BM 59 parts and substituting a standard trigger group. The stock would have the extra piece of wood set in place, but it would not necessarily match the rest of the wood, so it might not look too great. It would be more cost than the base BM 59 kit due to the extra work for him to fix up the stock, but if anyone is interested in this option let me know and I'll get you a price.
    It's Not Always a Matter of Need...

If I ever get to finishing the garand I'd be interested. I'd rather a .308 I think
    No point asking at the moment though, not on my behalf

I take it that BM59 receivers and mags are unobtanium.

It never hurts to get a price. There are enough receivers floating around that a mutt garand might be an interesting project.

Likely I'd just sit on the parts for a few decades, though. Don't know anyone here who can do the barrel work.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I take it that BM59 receivers and mags are unobtanium.
    from the sounds of post #13, a bm59 receiver would be prohib.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    from the sounds of post #13, a bm59 receiver would be prohib.
    My derp: didn't read
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Just talked to Tony "The Garand Guy" and he confirmed that the BM 59 kits are not a good option to build a traditional Garand. As mentioned they come with a .308 barrel for starters and the stock is definitely different to allow for the box magazine. You would need to add a piece back in to the bottom of the stock in order to make the lower plate fit. You would also need to get the proper lower plate and somehow attach it or get a proper trigger group with the plate in place. Plus the op-rod is shorter on the BM 59 so it wouldn't work with a .30-'06 set up.
    He did say that he could put together a .308 kit using most of the BM 59 parts and substituting a standard trigger group. The stock would have the extra piece of wood set in place, but it would not necessarily match the rest of the wood, so it might not look too great. It would be more cost than the base BM 59 kit due to the extra work for him to fix up the stock, but if anyone is interested in this option let me know and I'll get you a price.
    I would be curious to know the cost compared to the other garand kit.
    HK because they hate me

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    If you use a BM 59 kit to build a traditional M1 Garand the extra costs add up. Price of a 30.06 barrel ($300), proper stock (Garand Guy has new stocks with the Garand kit)($150) repair/modify oprod (at least $100), another trigger housing($40. approx if you find a deal) ,a new clip ejector spring($10)Have barrel installed and reamed( varies). THEN! As the BM 59 is box fed, you need all the inards for the Garand. Follower,bullet guide,follower arm, oprod catch and the pin that holds them in place($100+) .A new oprod spring and the follower rod ($30 + for both) The BM also has a different bolt release and you would need a Garand clip latch/pin/spring($50). There is no inexpensive way to build a Garand in Canada.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

lone-wolf (07-12-2016), Marshall (07-12-2016)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast