Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Need a clip latch now. 3 parts, the latch, pin and spring. The spring has a a small end and a larger end. The large end fits into the latchs backside.

Again, more grease! Some on the spring and also the pin. I use the pin to get grease through the latch hole before I install it. Compress the spring with your thumb and guide the pin in from the front. Pin has a head end that fits flush in the receiver.

Done!

The latch,pin, spring totaled $34.04. Added to the last total we have $1067.30
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Trigger group install. Again, grease! The locking lugs appreciate your attention!

With the hammer cocked and the trigger guard open,slide the trigger group into the receiver. Once again some wiggling and maybe a tapping will be needed to get it to sit properly (new stocks can be snug). Close the trigger guard. It should get very tight around this position.

If you have difficulty getting past this point do not worry. It was designed to be tight. Push the trigger guard down firmly/ use a padded table and push the rifle down onto the trigger guard. I can't find the photo but, Back in the war years the assemblers used a BFH to beat it into place. A wooden mallet the size of a coffee can was the tool of choice. I used a 2' length of 2"X4" to give it a whack.

You may have noticed (or not) that the sights are in place. I did the front before installing the gas cylinder as it was fresh out of the parkerizing tank and forgot to photograph that. Make sure the set screw is loose and slide it on the dovetail from the right side. Centre it on its flats and tighten.

I also installed the rear sights with no photos. If you had been here you would understand. The rear sight can either drop together in a couple of minutes or it can be a PITA. This one surpassed PITA! I will just refer you to youtube videos.

Notice the lack of any manufactures roll mark on the side. #102 is a early production unit and many had no ID here. I like the clean lines!

The front sight was close to $30.00 (BMB marked) the screw is a Brafasco $.05 allen head. Rear sight base $25., PB marked spring cover $15. Aperture was $8.00 , windage and elevation parts $60.71.

Sight parts total-$138.76

With our carryover of $1067.30 we are finished with a cost of $1206.06. This is just for the parts which were bargains for some.

No wood finishing, sandpapers,greases, reparking, time,etc.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Isabella 'Dressed to Kill' Part II!

Here she is!

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

4. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By FALover

Doug_M (03-12-2016), ESnel (03-13-2016), Hidyn (06-29-2016), kennymo (03-13-2016), OEM (03-14-2016), Prairie Dog (03-12-2016), R&R Rancher (03-13-2016), Vdogbytes (03-17-2016)

Very nice! Thanks for taking us along.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Beautiful rifle.

Great thread.

Much obliged FALover
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Holt moly,sir, I'm salivating.

Now that GOC'er Coke has mentioned his latest project, I am going to bump this old thread up. I would like everyone who has one (or more) of those bargain Danish receivers to 'get er' done'. A very good friend has said that we need to make the Garand Great Again! I agree. Buy a book, go online and utube it, find someone who knows or message me if yer desperate . Hunting down the parts can be daunting but it can be done. (if I win the lottery....!)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

lone-wolf (11-30-2017), Scotsman (12-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Now that GOC'er Coke has mentioned his latest project, I am going to bump this old thread up. I would like everyone who has one (or more) of those bargain Danish receivers to 'get er' done'. A very good friend has said that we need to make the Garand Great Again! I agree. Buy a book, go online and utube it, find someone who knows or message me if yer desperate . Hunting down the parts can be daunting but it can be done. (if I win the lottery....!)
    After many months of collecting, I have all the parts and tools required. Mostly BMB marked parts and a Danish VAR barrel. Having a hard time deciding whether or not to re-park the receiver. Original finish is a bit thin. What's the consensus on original vs new finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn Hope View Post
    After many months of collecting, I have all the parts and tools required. Mostly BMB marked parts and a Danish VAR barrel. Having a hard time deciding whether or not to re-park the receiver. Original finish is a bit thin. What's the consensus on original vs new finish?
    I usually refinish all my receivers just because. I repark the op-rods and trigger housing if I am heating up the mix anyways. Gas cylinder also gets some high temp header paint and then baked in the BBQ for a couple of hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

12. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

GTW (Yesterday)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789