Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    There’s no place near you where you can buy coax in bulk? Must be cheaper that way than ordering a ready made cable from the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Not that I know of. I ordered an LDG tuner out of HRO in the US, and had them throw "100 ft Coax Jumper UHF PL-259 Male Both Ends LMR-240 RG8X Cable" in with it. I wanted the stuff you can bury. It was $55 US. If I wanted 500ft or something like that, I'd have made more of an effort to dig some up locally. We don't have a proper ham radio store in Alberta that I know of. For 100ft...I've already got a tuner coming so shipping wasn't that much more....already got the PL's on the ends.....delivered right to my door.....screw it. Here's the specs.

Premium Quality RG-8X sized cable,
    Unlike regular RG-8X this cable has a direct burial jacket.
    (Uses UG-176 reducers like regular RG-8X, when needed)
    100% Bonded Foil + 95% TC Braid
    Closed Cell Polyethylene Dielectric
    82% Velocity of Propagation
    Very Flexible. Moisture Proof
    Ultra-Violet Resistant
    Similar to LMR-240-UF
    Attenuation @ 100ft/Pwr/Efficiency
    0.9dB @ 10MHz/2.16kW/80% E
    1.4dB @ 30MHz/1.24kW/69% E
    2.1dB @ 50MHz/.96kW/62% E
    3.6dB @ 150MHz/0.55kW/43.5% E
    6.3dB @ 450MHz/0.31kW/23.2% E
    RoHS Compliant. Made in America
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Direct burial, nice. There’s no ham store here either but there is an electronics store in the business park that sells a few kinds of bulk coax.

Would be nice if HRO or DX Engineering partnered with Amazon so Prime members could get free shipping.

Durham Radio in ON just closed their doors for good. That leaves Radio World as the only CDN “full time” store plus a few part timers selling stuff out of their houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Call Ralph Goodale every week to Stop Bill C-71 >>> 1-306-585-2202
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions

Even though the coax I'm using is rated for direct burial, I wanted to be sure that it would be well protected. 4 inch PVC was buried about a foot below the surface. Four coax runs, control cables, AC and ground wires were installed in this trench.

-- http://www.n0hr.com/ham_radio_tower.htm

4. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

blacksmithden (04-16-2018)

NICE!

One day...

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Even though the coax I'm using is rated for direct burial, I wanted to be sure that it would be well protected. 4 inch PVC was buried about a foot below the surface. Four coax runs, control cables, AC and ground wires were installed in this trench.

-- http://www.n0hr.com/ham_radio_tower.htm
    Such a nice well thought out project, and everything but the trenching executed well...

12” deep (even if that’s the top of 4” pipe), is not enough depth. Frost heave is one thing, but as soon as you decided on redoing/reseeding the lawn, the odds of hitting all that go up dramatically. Even driving around there in a wet spring could crush the pipe.
    A weird diagonal across the lawn buggers future shed building potential without reworking it as well. It’s likely straight
    Line from each point breaking the surface, but that gets tricky after as well. I knows it’s an older installation from the US, but that has some potential hazards that an extra couple of feet would easily mitigate...

A trenching machine oooo la la, the shovel and I are the trenching machine around here...
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty — and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

8. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

SIR VEYOR (04-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Such a nice well thought out project, and everything but the trenching executed well...

12” deep (even if that’s the top of 4” pipe), is not enough depth. Frost heave is one thing, but as soon as you decided on redoing/reseeding the lawn, the odds of hitting all that go up dramatically. Even driving around there in a wet spring could crush the pipe.
    A weird diagonal across the lawn buggers future shed building potential without reworking it as well. It’s likely straight
    Line from each point breaking the surface, but that gets tricky after as well. I knows it’s an older installation from the US, but that has some potential hazards that an extra couple of feet would easily mitigate...
    Still better than laying it across the grass like most of us do, or burying it 2" down like I'm going to do.
    Nice job Bob. What I wouldn't do to have married a woman who would go for a self support in the yard.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

best thing for burying cable is a VibraPlow, fast, leaves very little damage

For those who may be interested....Grid square DP53JK - Gahcho Kue diamond mine. For the next couple of weeks, VA6WW will be occasionally operating from that grid square on 20 and 40m using PSK31 (and possibly JT65 although Im not a big fan of just making a contact for the sake of it). Im likely to be on days this set, so it will likely be between 7pm and 9pm as time and sleep requirements permit. Due to thin walls in the dorm, I probably wont be able to do too much voice unfortunately. If you're into the whole 'working grid squares' thing, I can almost guarantee this will be the only time in your life you'll be able to get that one in the log book. GOC is blocked on the mine's internet and we can lose our internet if we're caught circumventing their sillyness with proxys and such....thus I wont be on here much for a while. 73s guys.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Doug_M (05-16-2018), glockfan (05-18-2018), LB303 (05-16-2018)

i've bookmarked the radioworld online store and browsed through out their catalog.

i'm tempted.

i'd like to get a shtf set up .something i could rely on to hear everything going on across the whole planet
    if ever the sh** actually hit the fan for real ....problem for me is, i'm totally clueless when it comes to electronics and such things.

what would i need as quality equipement to get me started in a serious manner ?
    Originally Posted by shortandlong
    Wtf , It makes about as much sense as feathers on a trout!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast