Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brass Case Question

On my way home from grouse hunting yesterday I stopped at the local gravel pit where most hunters around here check the sights on their rifles/guns to pick up some brass for my buddy that reloads. I found quite a bit of brass in a few different calibers including some 300 Win Mag with the silver coloured brass.

My question is about the silver coloured brass. Is it silver coloured brass or is it some other type of metal?

In the thriving metropolis of Beiseker AB.
    I believe it's nickel plated, I reload it but have noticed that it is harder than just brass.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
    You had me at Bacon

NFA

3. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By mavrik9

lone-wolf (10-24-2016), Rory McCanuck (10-24-2016), speedloader (05-19-2017), Swampdonkey (10-24-2016)

Yup; Nickel plate.

It is handy to have brass and nickle cases to differentiate loads. Brass = target, nickle = hunting loads, etc.
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

...from the Graz family crest.

Yes, nickel plated brass. It is reloadable, though some have claimed to have trouble with the harder coating. Others claim it's business as usual. I haven't had the pleasure, I say give it a go....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

gtr (10-25-2016)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I've reloaded it. No noticeable difference from unplated brass.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I would assume that Nickel Plating the brass would add an extra step in the production of the brass, if this is so are there any advantages in having Nickel Plated Brass in order to justify the extra step?

Basically what I am asking is, what are the pro's and con's of Nickel Plated Brass compared to regular Brass.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Unlike brass cases, I've never had had to tumble nickel plated.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

its supposed to be harder on your dies and prep tools
    because of the harder finish but I have reloaded it for pistol, small rifle many times

Just to note, that some stuff I've found, thinking it was nickel, was steel.

But we're talking military cartridges, not commercial chamberings

I treat nickel stuff like anything else. Guys who worry about their dies must be running pretty expensive dies. I've never replaced a sizing die due to damage.

Or maybe I'm not fussy enough.

With enough reloads the plating tends to wear away, at least on my old 38 Specials.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I had a question about some of the brass I came home with recently, as you can see on the far left is brass, next to that is nickel and then I some 45 ACP and 9mm of I'm not sure what it is, its very light and feels very thin maybe tin or aluminium? Either way I'm not going to trust it for reloading till I actually know what it is, I was thinking it was old black powder rounds.... any thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast