Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American with some questions

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have some questions I wanted to ask of the knowledgeable folks here. ..

Let me preface this by saying I've done searches and either my search terms are too short (e.g., fbi) or didn't turn up what I was looking for.

In short, I've been here several months (no, I didn't arrive Tuesday night ) and am in the process of starting a permanent residency application with my Canadian partner. I've been shooting since I was a wee girl but haven't done any hunting and would like to with this area seemingly being home to lots of interesting species.

A PAL is obviously my first step and I read on the rcmp pages that if you've been here less than 5 years that you need a letter of good conduct from your local or state police department back in your native country. Is this the same as a police certificate which is also used for immigration purposes? I'm in BC but cane from Florida so I certainly hope this is something I can do remotely. I was fingerprinted in Florida when I for my concealed carry permit there but obviously I know such a permit is not possible here.

Is an ATT needed for I think what's called a non restricted firearm (e.g, a typical bolt action hunting rifle be it a rimfire or centerfire with a standard sizedbarrel) ? I understand that an ATT is not needed in this case.

Given I am an American citizen and assuming I get the PAL, could I purchase a (non restricted) firearm in the states and bring it back to Canada myself as long as I declare it to CBSA and then presumably to RCMP? It seems prices are far lower and I wouldn't have any extended waiting period back in the states based past experience where I've lived.

Thoughts on a local or nearby outfit in Vancouver or the lower mainland to take the safety course? I'd consider it a bonus to find a shop that has good equipment and resources.

Finally any suggestions on where to meet people with an interest in firearms and hunting in particular? Once I get things going with the PAL it would be great to meet some folks who are experienced hunters and willing to share their knowledge with someone newer to that sport.

Cheers and thank you.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Elle308

Waynetheman (11-10-2016)

No ATT required for non-restricted arms.

IIRC, a letter from your former local police is most useful for this process, but we've got a couple former foreigners kicking around here someplace that could probably offer a more in depth view of the process.

There is some paperwork you can fill out to import your own firearms into the country, less trouble for you since you're a US citizen I would think. There are also some importers (like Aztech at the top of the page) that can help out with the cross border bit.

The range is a great place to meet people, as well as the local gun shop. There's also a BC group of GOC'ers that gets together for coffee and such once in a while, they've got a thread about it around here somewhere....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    No, you can't bring a gun back from the US. The problem isn't on this side of the border...its the US side. In order to bring a firearm, firearm part, or firearm accessory out of the US, you would have to make an application through ITAR. In order to do that, you would have to be in the US when the application is made, and as far as I know, be there though out the processing time, until they sent back approval.

You no longer require an ATT if you have the restricted endorsement on your PAL. That being said, you can't transport restricted firearms just anywhere. They allow for transport "by a reasonably direct route" from your home, to a certified range, and back again. You can take them to a gunsmith, retailer for appraisal purposes...and I honestly can't remember all 6 conditions right now. Do a search on bill C-42. That was the parliamentary act that got rid of the need for a paper ATT.

As Kenney suggested, join a gun club. That's probably the highest concentration of hunters you're likely to find.

As for the rest of the info...sorry...I'm not going to be much help on those points.

AND....Welcome to Canada !
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    No, you can't bring a gun back from the US. The problem isn't on this side of the border...its the US side. In order to bring a firearm, firearm part, or firearm accessory out of the US, you would have to make an application through ITAR. In order to do that, you would have to be in the US when the application is made, and as far as I know, be there though out the processing time, until they sent back approval.
    If you are planning on keeping your American Citizenship this may not apply to you because you would just be technically bringing them in for the duration of your stay. Like Canadians taking firearms south of the border when they go on holidays. Best to ask The American authorities on this one.
    CFSC and CRFSC Instructor to Santa

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    If you are planning on keeping your American Citizenship this may not apply to you because you would just be technically bringing them in for the duration of your stay. Like Canadians taking firearms south of the border when they go on holidays. Best to ask The American authorities on this one.
    I was just gonna say....as a US citizen there are going to be some rules on the South side of the border we have to follow that you don't. Not quite sure what they'd be though....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I appreciate the many replies and clarifications.

Addressing one of the comments above, yes, I absolutely plan on keeping my US citizenship. Perhaps it matters when I would attempt to bring in the firearm as in before I become a permanent resident (and hence am considered a tourist or visitor) or after I became a resident. Obviously I'll still need the license, training course, application, etc but I'm wondering if those suffice to sort of let you keep any (non restricted) firearms you brought in from America while you were a visitor.

For example. .. say I'm on a standard visit stay here (which is accurate) from a legal status standpoint. I go through the firearms licensing process, get the PAL, but before I become a permanent resident (assuming Ottawa approves me and this will take a year or more in all likelihood), I cross the border legally (declaring i have a firearm and showing all paperwork and licensure to CBSA) and attempt to bring in this firearm I bought in the US. Essentially I'm wondering if anything changes regarding the legality of my non restricted firearms that I bought over legally as a tourist the minute I become a permanent resident.

And I will as suggested above be looking at sources of information from the states on this topic. If anyone had experience with this then your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Elle308; 11-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.

You can import MOST of your firearms yourself. Some likely won't be admissible due to Canadian laws, especially any magazines.
    There is a one time permanent export allowed and Is in conjunction with your settlers documents. I think you need to own them at least six months before export, and cannot sell/dispose of any settler items for a minimum of one year without paying duty.
    As part of the moving process, there is some more legwork on the US side. I think it's AES? That you have to create an account with to exports some items. Vehicles for sure, likely firearms and other things as well. US border guys weren't sure themselves about firearms and some other stuff when we did a vehicle under it.
    There is no timeline on when your settler inventory has to exported, and it can be done in multiple trips. But the list must be made prior to its submission. No additions afterwards.
    Self exporting as part of emigration isn't too bad and much cheaper than using exporters, brokers, etc.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

shootemup604 (11-13-2016)

"...and bring it back to Canada myself..." Depends on the firearm. ITAR doesn't apply to all of 'em, but exporting one is more the issue than importing.
    Read this. Confirmation of SIR-VEYOR's "no timeline" will be there some place. Isn't a great site visually though.
    http://www.canadacustomsinfo.com/mov...tlers-effects/
    Anyway, this is where you start. Note that foreign safety course like you CCW doesn't apply. Nor does any other experience regardless of where or how much.
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...enager-eng.htm
    Here for B.C.'s hunting regs and getting a licence there.
    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sp...sident-hunting

I took my course with Silvercore,they offer courses both on the Island and the lower mainland. Also check out your local rod & gun clubs and ranges as some do offer courses. If you give us a city your in or near local there can give recommendations or places to avoid.

For bringing in firearms from the USA to Canada I'd talk to Marshall at Aztech Armory https://www.aztecharmory.com/about-us-i-8.html myself and other here have used their services and have no problem recomending them.

If you don't have them here are the Canadian Firearms Safety Course manuals(non res/res)

http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...FSC-Manual.pdf

http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...FSC-Manual.pdf

These are the people to talk to about getting a hunting licence in BC ,unlike your PAL you can self study and just do the exam.

http://www.bcwf.net/index.php/core-sp-30096

Oh, and if anyone hasn't said it before Elle308, welcome to Canada and to the forum!

13. The Following User Liked This Post By infidel29

harbl_the_cat (11-13-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast