Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116
Results 1,151 to 1,156 of 1156
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Learn how to spell it so you don't look it.
    Maybe he means a recycled pie? Like how coleslaw and the soup of the day is just cream of yesterday?

If conservatives want to be credible, let's use conservative English with proper spelling and grammar. It's the least we can do.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Swampdonkey

Rory McCanuck (11-07-2017)

Under Ten Flags (1960)
    staring: Charles Laughton, Van Heflin
    producer: Dino De Laurentiis

I saw this film, no big surprise, back in the 1960s.
    In the late 1980s I was describing Q-Ships to someone and started looking for it. I've been looking for it for decades. Found a few other Q-ship movies, but this was the one I was looking for.

A good film. 7/10

A true story. Except for the safe cracking scene. Long before Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment (1999)'s laser yoga, and Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)'s diamond heist, and Oceans Twelve (2004)'s laser dance, "Under Ten Flags (1960)" did the same thing but the special effect for the 'lasers' is clearly string.

Loosely based on actual events during World War II, the film depicts real-life German Captain Bernhard Rogge commanding the navy raider Atlantis, which from May 1940 to November 1941 sank 22 Allied merchant ships. The story alternates between scenes at the Admiralty and scenes at sea, particularly showing Captain Rogge's humanity and chivalrous conduct of his military engagements. Rogge was one of the few German flag rank officers who was not arrested by the Allies after the war, due to his conduct as a military officer. Rogge ended up being an officer in NATO after the war.

In 1941, the British Admiralty is worried about the large number of Allied ships being destroyed in the Pacific Ocean by a mysterious enemy vessel. Initially, British Admiral Russell suspects that a German submarine is the culprit. However, the few revealed pieces of the mystery puzzle rather point to a German Navy surface warship. The British don't know it yet but the enemy ship in question is the German Navy raider Atlantis commanded by Captain Reger. His success in sneaking upon unsuspecting enemy vessels is due in large part on Atlantis' ability to disguise itself in a benign, non-combatant, neutral ship. To achieve this ruse, the Atlantis uses props, camouflage, paint, fake foreign flags and even theatrical costumes for its crew to make itself appear something it's not. When Atlantis is close to its prey, it reveals its true identity and fire's a shot across the bow threatening to sink the duped victim. Finally realizing the truth, British Admiral Russell decides to set traps in order to persuade Atlantis to reveal its position to a task-force of British warships laying in ambush. But first, Admiral Russell must gain Atlantis' confidence by pretending he's sending his messages from the German Navy High Command. It won't be easy, since the German Navy uses a Flower Grid Code Map to arrange contacts between its various ships. A game of cat and mouse begins.

The usual technique is to disguise the ship as something neutral, steam abreast to within 600 yards of the victim ship, raise the German flag and drop the weapon covers and pretence, and fire a warning shot across its bow. The victim ship is ordered to radio silence and to abandon ship, the passengers and crew are safely brought aboard the merchant raider, children lifted 20 at a time in cargo nets by crane, and then a boarding party goes onto the victim ship to scuttle her. Lots of tonnage sunk over 650 days continuously at sea, with exceptionally little loss of life, usually without the loss of a single life. When opportunity presents itself, the merchant raider transfers his prisoners to a victim ship with orders to the victim ship's captain to sail for a neutral country. This included Jews.

The merchant raider, aka Q-Ship, has several turret 6" deck guns hidden behind 30'x10' droppable panels, anti-aircraft machine gun emplacements hidden under more panels, and two torpedo tube launchers mounted to fire out the side under the water line. It's not a navel vessel, so there's no double hull, no water tight doors, and the tiniest hit will sink her fast. It uses what would normally be cargo holds as prisons, divided into male and female sections, to hold captives from victim ships for up to a year.

Actress Mylène Demongeot at her finest.
    Data does not equal information, and information does not equal understanding.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Rory McCanuck (11-09-2017)

batman the dark knight. 10/10
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by Steveo9mm; 11-09-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Logan 9/10

I had no idea what the movie was about and growing up with the Xmen it was a very big shock. The whole movie, every scene really made it feel like the light was going out of the world.

The effects ( read massive blood splatter) was poorly done and just too much but other then that a very good way wrap up the series. I do wish I had AR least looked up the plot though as it cut me deep.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Joshua13

Rory McCanuck (11-11-2017)

Police Story (1985)
    Staring Jackie Chan
    Not a lot of depth, but still 7/10
    "No wussy actors were harmed during the making of this film. Everyone listed in the credits was either black & blue & bloodied, or outright hospitalized."
    Best seen with both English audio and English subtitles -- since they disagree violently it's like watching two films at once.

After the season ending "Into the Forest I Go" episode of Star Trek Discovery, actress Sonequa Martin-Green (Michael Burnham) was talking about the incredible choreography for her fight with the Klingon in that episode. I was just shaking my head from side to side.
    She'd move her mini-bat'leth to a position, hold it there and wait, and the Klingon would swing his and hit it. Repeat.

Compare that to
    Last edited by RangeBob; 11-16-2017 at 02:28 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

Rory McCanuck (11-15-2017), Swampdonkey (11-16-2017)

Framed (1975)
    "God bless our humble servant of ass beatings, Joe Don Baker."

Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116