What kind of factory ammo should I use for Ljungman AG42B?

I'm picking up my AG42B tomorrow and need to buy some ammo for it. The internet isn't giving me much guidance about which ammunition will be good for the gun. There's no gas pressure regulation so I looked at the recommended loads (Swedish M/41) and tried to compare them to factory ammunition.
    My choices are 123 grain, 139 grain, 180 grain in Federal, etc.
    I think 139 grain Federal Fusion should be ok for the Ljungman but should I look at the lower grain loads instead?

Does anyone have any experience with what is best for this gun?

The original Swedish military load was a 156 grain bullet cruising a little under 2400 fps out of a long Mauser barrel. PPU loads a 156 grain hunting bullet at speeds close to the original.
    Around the time of WWII they developed a 139 grain load that was about 100 FPS faster, this one would remain relatively unchanged until the 6.5x55 went out of service, so it should be what was cycled through the AG42. The PPU 139 grain load also approximates the original pretty well, and might be available in FMJ which will be cheaper than the soft points, and the PPU in general should be quite a bit cheaper than the fusion if you can find it.
    I haven't tried PPU in my Swedish Mauser, but it works well in 7.5x55 Swiss, 270 Winchester, 7x57 and 8x56R.
    Last edited by kennymo; 01-27-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I'll be looking for it, thanks!

Oh, no firsthand experience but I have heard that that thing helps get brass prepared for the scrap heap. A rather robust ejection system. And don't stick your fingers in the wrong part of the action....something about making 'Garand thumb' look like a love tap...

"...something about making 'Garand thumb' look like a love tap..." Yep. The AG closes in a hurry with no notice. Still operator failure though.
    Years ago, before there was an internet, guys shooting AG's used whatever was available. And that was Norma.
    The Swedes used a 140 grain (at 2,625 ft/s) bullet from 1941 onwards. The standard 1567 grain (at 2,379 ft/s) load prior to then. Any ammo running around those velocities will do nicely. Prvi's 139 grain SP ammo runs 2542 fps.

Just poking around, if you can find the PPU 139 gr FMJ it runs about $27 a box, way more cost effective than the Fusion which seems to be getting awfully close to $40. SFRC (and maybe a couple other sponsors) have S&B 139 gr FMJ for around $29. If you're looking to order some in, the S&B might be an option....

Also of note, one of the local Canadian Tire stores here has been stocking S&B and PPU in hard to find metric calibres. If there's a CT with a well stocked hunting and shooting department in your neighbourhood it might be worth sticking your head in.

I've run hundreds of the PPU 139 gr FMJ out of mine, back when the stuff was $20/box.
    Save the PPU brass it's very good brass for reloading, witch I've switched to since the ammo is $30/box around here now.

Fond memories of the old pencil with an eraser on the end round nose bullets

Quote Originally Posted by tinbird View Post
    Fond memories of the old pencil with an eraser on the end round nose bullets
    The 160 grain roundnoses found in the 6.5x55 and 6.5x54 MS were considered the elephant hunter/poachers best friend for a few years around the turn of the century. Apparently the penetration of that long, skinny bullet was impressive for it's time and pretty effective on elephant skulls. Not quite as impressive as the eight bore (something about the brains flying out both ears), but much more manageable....

If you do the adjustable gas port mod you will have much greater control over what ammo you can use and how far the brass is ejected and prevent the brass getting beat up too much.

The mod requires the removal of the stalked screw on the top of the gas port block and replacing it with a longer and pointed set screw and lock-nut and adjusting the screw with the particular load or ammo used to get the minimum gas flow needed to function reliably.

Also do not use slow burning powders for these and other semi-auto milsurp firearms. They are designed to function best when using a medium fast burning powder like IMR 4895 or 4064.