Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeegler View Post
    You could be right, at least about the rings. I was reading a review that said it came with bases and rings, but I thought it was just the bases. Maybe it's neither, which makes the Vanguard an even better buy. I would prefer a removable magazine, but I can deal with the hinged floorplate if I have to.
    Bases are integral to the receiver if you buy the right rings for the Tikka iirc.
    Doesn't look like you get mounts unless you buy a package rifle:
    http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...nter/p/191140B

Looks like Cabellas is having a pretty good sale on them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I bought a Tikka SS T3 hunter last summer, came with bases, rings, and Burris E1 scope for 900.00
    Good for you, that's called a package rifle...like this:
    http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...Scope/p/55346B
    Retailers selling a rifle/scope combo are likely to do so with the scope mounted...usually means bases and rings or just rings if they receiver mount.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

There is no vs. Commercial hunting rifles are pretty much all the same. So you can buy entirely on how it feels, price and what comes with it.
    Mind you, Weatherby has been marketing stuff they don't actually make(Vanguards are exactly the same rifle as the Howa M1500. Made in the same plant too.) on the name for eons. And you do pay extra for the name.
    Tikka's are made by Sako. And 'lighter' isn't always a good thing. The T3 trigger is adjustable. So is the Vanguard's.
    Difference in barrel length isn't enough to matter. Slightly, very slightly, less velocity with the longer barrel, but not enough to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    There is no vs. Commercial hunting rifles are pretty much all the same. So you can buy entirely on how it feels, price and what comes with it.
    Mind you, Weatherby has been marketing stuff they don't actually make(Vanguards are exactly the same rifle as the Howa M1500. Made in the same plant too.) on the name for eons. And you do pay extra for the name.
    Tikka's are made by Sako. And 'lighter' isn't always a good thing. The T3 trigger is adjustable. So is the Vanguard's.
    Difference in barrel length isn't enough to matter. Slightly, very slightly, less velocity with the longer barrel, but not enough to matter.
    Once again, 180 from the truth, how do you do it?

I guess I can save a bunch of money and just buy an Axis rather than the Sako I had my heart set on?
    Good to know.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

BrotherRockeye (02-19-2017), road kill (02-19-2017), Zeegler (02-16-2017)

I guess I can save a bunch of money and just buy an Axis rather than the Sako I had my heart set on?
    Good to know.
    Get a 783 over the Sako... basically the same rifle...

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Bizzle

Rory McCanuck (02-19-2017)

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Sunray lives!!!
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By BrotherRockeye

Pizzed (02-23-2017), Rory McCanuck (02-19-2017)

Did you check out Steyr Pro Hunter, Voere or the new Sauer 100. Not much difference in price. Steyr and Sauer are in a different class or a used Husqvarna 1900 (smoothest action ever built).
    Last edited by GHL1; 02-22-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GHL1 View Post
    Did you check out Steyr Pro Hunter, Voere or the new Sauer 100. Not much difference in price. Steyr and Sauer are in a different class or a used Husqvarna 1900 (smoothest action ever built).
    I wouldn't even know where to buy these brands. I'm pretty much stuck with buying at Bass Pro, Erie Tracker in Port Colborne, or online at Cabela's. If there's another online seller who will ship, maybe I would consider these options, but then I wouldn't be able to check out the guns in person first.

I have handled and shot a number if different Tikka's, Sako's and Weatherby's. As far as overal build quality there are in the same league but I have found the fit and finish of the Vanguard's to be a tad better.

Having a removable magazine is very handy if you are in and out of a truck throughout the day or road hunting. However, in cold weather they can be a weak link. I had a Sako A7 magazine that failed numerous times on a cold weather hunt. Having said that, others I have talked to have had zero issues, maybe I just had a bad one. Never had an internal box fail.

For a .270win, having a 22" barrel is a big advantage. You lose very little velocity and makes the rifle much handier. For me this is huge. I hunt in Northern Ontario thick bush and a 24" barrel quickly becomes a hinder however YMMV.

I haven't shot the Tikka "Lite" but I have shot the Sako Finnlight and on that model the stocks butt is hallow. When I shot the Sako you would get a ringing in the stock and the butt would smack my cheek bone a bit. Found it quite annoying, not sure if the Tikka is the same. Again, YMMV.

Both rifles will be sub MOA but Tikka's seem to have an uncanny amount of accuracy. Either way, both have far more accuracy than we need hunting.

Kennymo is spot on with the Howa option. However, if I was choosing between your options I would go with the Tikka. The 22" barrel is simply too appealing.

Just some food for thought, either rifle is an excellent choice.
    Last edited by p3t3rsn; 03-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By p3t3rsn

Zeegler (04-27-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12