Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question You'd think this would be easy to figure out.

How the heck do you see where (if) you hit a target?

I've been out a couple of times as a guest and I noticed that it's hard to see where you hit the target (paper) when you're actually shooting. I wear my glasses, the target is at the closest distance allowed and I can't tell where I hit it.

Obviously, you can see it when you reel in the target, but do you guys have any tips so I don't have do that after every shot?
    Finally getting back out to the range with my threesome:
    Ruger Mark IV, CZ SP-01 Shadow, Ruger SP101.

Yes, I have more guns than my husband.

The easiest thing is to get a small spotting scope, or, if you are just shooting handguns at 25m or so, a pair of binoculars will work as well.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

At distance some people use a spotting scope. For short or pistol ranges you could try the 'splatter' type targets. They have a layer of white or bright orange paper under a typically black target, your bullet holes show up better against the black because they'll be ringed with the brighter colour. Gets $$$$ though if you do a lot of shooting.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    if you hit the same spot over and over the hole gets bigger and easier to see.

I suggest that approach
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

5. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By BrotherRockeye

Eel (02-17-2017), firemachine69 (02-15-2017), kennymo (02-15-2017), Lazagna (02-15-2017), MissMeggie (02-15-2017), Rory McCanuck (02-15-2017), triq (02-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by MissMeggie View Post
    How the heck do you see where (if) you hit a target?

I've been out a couple of times as a guest and I noticed that it's hard to see where you hit the target (paper) when you're actually shooting. I wear my glasses, the target is at the closest distance allowed and I can't tell where I hit it.

Obviously, you can see it when you reel in the target, but do you guys have any tips so I don't have do that after every shot?
    Regardless of whether you get a spotting scope or binoculars, I would further suggest that you don't check after every shot. It disrupts your mental "flow" and your grip might change from shot to shot. Better to shoot in batches, such as 5 round groups or a whole magazine, depending on what kind of gun you're using. Also, individual shots matter less than groups. Just focus on good sight picture, grip, trigger pull, for each group, then check how you're doing. Especially if you have an adjustable sight and are trying to zero on the target, it's better to do, for example "1 inch down and 2 inches to the left" based on the centre of a group rather than based on an individual shot.
    If God didn't want holsters to be leather, he wouldn't have made so many damn cows.

7. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Bittereinder

chuckbuster (02-15-2017), CLW .45 (02-18-2017), lone-wolf (03-19-2017), Rory McCanuck (02-15-2017), Toban (03-06-2017)

Good advice there ^

9. The Following User Liked This Post By shootemup604

Bittereinder (02-15-2017)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Binoculars...Spotting scope...Bigger calibers - one of the reasons I shoot 44 mag and 45ACP is because I can see the damned holes with my crappy eyes.) Lol.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

11. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

With a .22? Sort of normal not to be able to see the actual hole. You should be able to see a mark on the target though. Still best t get some kind of optic. Binoculars(likely the least expensive option. Cheap compact binos start at $21.99 at Cabela's. $70ish for better quality. Bushnell 10x 42 binoculars are currently on sale at Crappy Tire. $100 binos for $69.97.), spotting scope, etc. Even an old scope sight will do. Assuming you have such a thing.
    "...your grip might change from shot to shot..." Not with a properly set up spotting scope. Said scope gets mounted on your shooting box so you just move your head. More expensive though.

Splatter target? At least the hole isn't black on a black circle. This is also the reason I use a lit reticle on my AR - can't see black cross hairs on a black target centre too easily.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” ― George Orwell

Shoot bigger bullets, big holes are easier to see

Holes are much easier to see on white paper rather than black.
    I use a few targets that have black sections pointing to the centre, but the centre itself is white.
    Makes it easier to see dark sights against a white background, too.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

15. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast