Chest rig/Plate carrier recommendations

I've been pre planning getting into more tactical style shooting and wondering about other people's setups. Although I watch/read a lot of material on the subject robin the last 6+ months I think advice from people not sponsored by a company is the right way to go. I've read Condor is good but cheap and has a lot of detractors. I've heard about Mayflower, LBT, 5.11 and Crye Precision but they all seem the same and living in Saskatchewan doesn't give me lots of places to try gear on. So looking for suggestions and reviews. Oh and side question...most of the plate carriers I see now only cover the chest leaving the stomach expose. Now I know this is still protecting the heart and lungs but as a first responder I know a gut wound is a terrible thing...so I guess I'm saying is a full upper body better then a chest rig or am I just paranoid?

I just use a vest to hold extra mags and such. Not much chance of taking one in the chest at a CQB match, no need to pack 60 pounds of armor around.

Search CQB on youtube and see they are using, if are looking at more the 3 gun type of shooting, there tons of videos out there. Best plan is just go to match and BS with the shooters.
    A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll never need one again.

I mostly seen the majority are using the chest rig right for just holding spare mags and first aid kits. I know way back in the CFR webbing was pretty much all you needed. I'll look over more info but I'm not sure how much 3 gun or CQB is done in Saskatchewan. I'm mostly thinking of using it for range time at first then signing up for some training courses with Agoge Tactical Regime in Saskatoon.

Makes sense, I know there usually a couple of 3G in the 'Hat, but 4 hours is a bit of a trek. I'm not familiar with the courses you mention, maybe a call or visit to the facility would help get you in the right direction.
    A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll never need one again.

I re-checked the level 2 carbine course and it's only real requirement, besides the regular items, is mag pouches, vest/chest rig to hold at least 4 magazines. So I suppose that leaves a lot of options lol. Agoge Tactical Regimen is a training company out of Saskatoon that travels to Regina and Red Deer to teach mostly handgun and carbine course and some other specialty classes too.

I am not an expert on this stuff, but since you asked...

Armour is stupid expensive.

You would have to be paying me to get me to wear actual armour, and have bought the armour.

So for me, that rules out plate carriers....which are intended to be worn with plates which I just explained I consider so expensive and uncomfortable you would need to pay me to wear it if its free.

So IMHO, you might as well just grab a 511 vest and some quality mag pouches. You might not look as tacticool as some, but your stuff will work as well as anyone so long as no one shoots you.

Also, regarding fit....its my inexpert opinion that your concern about an exposed belly under most plate carriers is in fact a design feature of most armour, which is intended to cover the heart and lungs while standing, yet can accomodate wearer sitting down without smashing himself in the jaw with his hard plater. The manufacturers make it like that.

my setup, mayflower apc, mayflower uw gen 4 chestrig, ferro concepts dangler, level 4 plates.