Bushnell TRS-25 for Ruger 10/22 is great

If your eyes don't see close things very well, the iron sights don't work well. I was in the snow with my 10/22 to evaluate it again with a scope removed and I can't reliably hit a Red Bull can at 25 yards using the standard carbine sights. With the sights of the 10/22 Carbine model, I have to see a blurry white diamond and line it up with a yellowish front sight. I can tell from the snow flying it is within a few inches, but not accurate enough for hare hunting.

I received the TRS-25 from Amazon. Set up was very easy. Used the cheap Bushnell bore sighter that hangs out of the barrel. In theory I just need to make 2 red dots line up. I've learned that when spinning the bore sighter (pushed back against the barrel), the red light makes a circle on the wall. So I spin it to find the top and bottom of the circle, and stop the red light at the middle height. That is my Y coordinate. I set up the elevation to match that. Repeat for finding the middle point between left and right extremes of the circle. That is my X coordinate. I set up the windage to match that.

I took it to the range, and this produces hits about 2.5 inches off center at 20 yards. I adjusted it once, and now the shots group nicely around center.

I like that there is no parallax - the red dot stays in the same place regardless of eye position. I also like being able to easily shoot with both eyes open. I've heard people say that you should shoot with a scope with both eyes open, but it doesn't work for me aside from the red dot situation of having no magnification.

The only possible down side I can see, is in mild snowing conditions where the snow sticks to the metal. Then I will use my Marlin with Williams Fire Sights. At first, I was going to do the same with the Ruger, but I had difficulty finding them available for the 10/22 in Canada.

Funny you post this because I was checking out reviews of the TRS last week on YT. Thinking of doing similar with one of my .22's as my eyes just aren't what they used to be (either) and simple plinking steel swingers or jumping targets is what I enjoy most.

I have one on my Remington 597HB. It's the cat's ass out to about 50 yards. Past that, the dot obscures a little too much of the target for me. But I have astigmatism in my shooting eye that causes me to see the bright dot a little funny too....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I put one on my JR carbine 9 mm, works great

Consider me another fan. I've had it on my Remington 597 as well and it's hilarious fun close up for plinking on steel targets.

It will be going on my SKS when I get the rail put on and cut off the front post.
    I have no signature block.

I've got one on my SKS for two years now. Surprised it has held up. Cost me less than $30 I think.

Ruger iron sights aren't great IMO. Glad you discovered the beautiful red dot.

My grandsons, now 13 and11, love the Bushnells on my 10/22 and BL22.
    Two vicious lies undergird that stinking pile of excrement that passes for firearms law and regulation in Canada.

Some guns are too dangerous for you to have, and you don't "need" guns because you have police to protect you.