Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    South East from the center of the Universe
    My GP 100 is blued steel, and I shoot factory ammo through it (no where near 10,000 rds) maybe a few thousand but there isn't any indication around the cone like that. I load my .44 Rem Mags (out of a stainless 629 smith) and use IMR powder, again; nothing like what you're showing.

Have you mic'd the projectiles? What is the .001" spread between boolets?
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud refers to the Irish.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    ^^^ how about Smiths are better than Ruger LOL

@ Plinker no I haven't but all I've shot is full plated bullets I doubt it's lead I tried to brush it with a stainless steel brush scrape it with a flattened casing using it as a scraper nothing came off, it can't be lead. But I still can't believe it's the barrel steel, you imagine the temperature that it would take to melt I'm guessing hardened steel in the micro second it takes to push a bullet out of a barrel???
    My Redhawk is a Ruger though......and I still don't have a good explanation for why that's happening to yours.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote "Have you mic'd the projectiles? What is the .001" spread between boolets?

I haven't done that but I doubt it would have anything to do with the forcing cone surface. The powder (longshot) on the other hand might be the answer, it's the only other variable. Anyone knows what's the powder in a store bought round like Winchester?
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

SS is actually soft stuff compared to carbon steel.
    "...powder in a store bought..." Manufacturers do not publish their load data. Reloaders can't get the powders the use anyway, but it's primarily because they load to get a particular velocity at a particular pressure with a specific powder lot. The powders they use may not be the same every time either.

edited
    Last edited by Kobs; 02-21-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12