Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GP-100 forcing cone

Anyone else had this "erosion" happening to their wheel gun forcing cone? According to my research it could be caused by double based powders. I'm using Hodgdon longshot max load according to the Hodgdon site. Some peoples using H110 or Win. 296 had the same problem. I also read about peoples using IMR 4227 (single based powder) that didn't have this problem. Any input appreciated.
    I also saw some picture of guns having a frame top strap gouge/burn caused by excessive erosion of their forcing cone.

EDIT: Note that this gun isn't even 2 years old and had a little more than 1000 357 rounds through most of them 158Gr. Campro plated bullets and 8.4Gr of longshot (600 or 700 38 spl. store bought win.)

Last edited by Kobs; 02-21-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

Lot of posts on the assorted American forums about the same issue.
    Those hot loads are doing it. 8.4 of Longshot is the max load for jacketed bullets. Too hot for plated. Plated bullets are not jacketed and do not use jacketed data. They use cast or low range jacketed data at most.
    Either way, SS GP's are sort of known for it when using hot loads. Supposedly more common with hot loads and light bullets which your plated bullets and jacketed data might be considered.
    The wear doesn't affect much though. It's just unsightly. No effect on accuracy at all. However, if the erosion goes into the barrel(doesn't look like it from your pictures. Nice pictures too.), said barrel needs replacing. Ruger will do it.

Well I contacte a Ruger center and the guy told me that my warranty is void if I shot only one reload with it I guess what ever you do after you buy something you're bound to get f**ed even from Ruger and GP-100 who had the reputation of being "tanks"
    Btw the Campro site says you can use jacketed data for their bullets, and I really don't think it has anything to do with it since I never exceeded the max load from Hodgdon site which is probably for the crappiest 357 anyone makes just to cover their @.

I will still drop by the Ruger repair center since it's 20 minutes from where I live and show it to them see what they think I have an appointment for the 27th

Hi. It's hot loads that cause it. Did you work up to the max load or just pick it?
    Anyway, while it's ugly, that erosion is primarily cosmetic and isn't a strength thing.
    Had my GP since they first came to Canada about 40 years ago. Never had any problems with it.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

Kobs (02-17-2017)

Yes I did start half way and worked it up, It wasn't my first time reloading (9mm, .45's) and when I shot the lighter loads it felt more or less like factory 38 special so I increased by 0.2 till it felt like 357 loads and I was at max.

Quote myself:I never exceeded the max load from Hodgdon site which is probably for the crappiest 357 anyone makes just to cover their @." I would do the same too if I were them so...
    Last edited by Kobs; 02-17-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote " while it's ugly, that erosion is primarily cosmetic and isn't a strength thing."

I know if you look at it like just looking without magnification it's barely noticeable and does not affect accuracy in any way. It's just... there and annoying like a small scratch on your 57 chevy loll

Still I thought the steel would be tougher since it's there that everything goes on
    Last edited by Kobs; 02-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    I'm no revolver expert and of no help to you, But that does look super ugly. Something's wrong.

South East from the center of the Universe
    Interesting. To me it looked like leading (there is powder and {lead?} on the top strap and on top of the cone, where it's hard to clean.). Dumb question, but have you tried a lead remover?
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud refers to the Irish.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Here's a picture of the forcing cone on my Redhawk in 44 rem mag Kobs....the erosion is nothing compared to yours. My gun is 11 years old, and I've EASILY fired over 10,000 rounds though it. Don't know what to tell you man.

GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

^^^ how about Smiths are better than Ruger LOL

@ Plinker no I haven't but all I've shot is full plated bullets I doubt it's lead I tried to brush it with a stainless steel brush scrape it with a flattened casing using it as a scraper nothing came off, it can't be lead. But I still can't believe it's the barrel steel, you imagine the temperature that it would take to melt I'm guessing hardened steel in the micro second it takes to push a bullet out of a barrel???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast