Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNitrous View Post
    Unfortunately for me I have to send my scope to be retrofitted for a turret but need this measurement before I can do so. I'm pretty sure it is around 1.6" but I want to be sure.

The rifle is out getting a brake installed as well as the action bedded so I want this thing as dialed in as possible
    If you are off 1/10" you will only be off by 1/10 of a
    Moa. At 500m we are talking 1/4". Not 1/4 moa but 1/4" at 500m. Absolutely inconsequential. While I understand you want to take all the variables out of the equation, this one in particular isn't one to lose sleep over. Pick a number and run with it. Due to all the bases and rings available you need to measure your rifle and you're rifle only.

That' said my .243 axis with a 40mm objective hunkered down close to the barrel is 1.6", and my .300wm with a 50mm is 1.8".

Just pick a number and go but 1.6" does sound quite likely.

This data is entry is the least of your concernes. .1moa means nothing for your purpose. It doesn't even factor in. It's a number that is rounded out in any calculation you would be making.

With your setup your week points are going to be elevation, temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure. Those elements will make those turret numbers little more than approximations and that .1moa is just as likely to help you as it is to hurt you.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Buster

JohnnyNitrous (03-12-2017)

Douple post

Great info, thanks guys.

I'm going to go with 1.6 if I cant get a measurement in the next few days.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    .5405 measured from the top of the receiver to the center of the firing pin with the bolt open on my T3 7RM

also 1.5" scope height is a standard on 3 different ballistics programs I have.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Looks like I was pretty damn close on my 1.6 guess! Thanks alot!

"...send my scope to be retrofitted for a turret..." Cost you a whole lot less to just buy a new scope with turrets. However, like Haywire1 says, the height above will be different with different rings and bases.
    "...the new numbers are..." Mostly irrelevant. As they're likely the result of playing with a ballistics calculator. Your Federal 100 grain .243, sighted in at 200 yards, is going to drop based on the MV, ~ 41.4" at 500 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...send my scope to be retrofitted for a turret..." Cost you a whole lot less to just buy a new scope with turrets. However, like Haywire1 says, the height above will be different with different rings and bases.
    "...the new numbers are..." Mostly irrelevant. As they're likely the result of playing with a ballistics calculator. Your Federal 100 grain .243, sighted in at 200 yards, is going to drop based on the MV, ~ 41.4" at 500 yards.
    Cost more for a retrofit? Assuming he has a leupold, retrofit cost is about $200 give or take, what scope are you suggesting, an nc star? And that has notbing to do with his question.

Aside from that, if you read the thread before spouting off, you would see his question was answered a while ago
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Haywire1

JohnnyNitrous (03-13-2017)

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar

we need one of those la la la smileys with it's fingers in it's ears
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Haha I think I will keep my Zeiss thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12