Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fun with shooting a 1.5 gauge shotgun

If this arms race catches on, how long before we're into the decimal or even negative gauges?

1.5 gauge shotgun weighs 47 lbs and feels like firing a cannon from your shoulder

Competitive shooter Robert “Bob” Gordon Vovel shows off his homemade punt gun. Deisgned for commercial huntin of waterfowl, punt guns were usually fixed to the bow of small boats or “punts.” The entire boat was maneuvered to fire the weapon which could take up to 50 birds in a single shot.

Most punt guns were 2 or 4 gauge, but Bob has upped the ante and made a 1.5 gauge that weighs 47 lbs.

Packed with 11 ounces of shot and 650 grains of FFG black powder, this load is equivalent to ten shells of 12 gauge birdshot. “I don’t know that there’s a bigger, single-person, hand-held shotgun out there, though,” he says in the video.

http://americangg.net/1-5-gauge-shot...ium=GruntStyle
    "My God, in the hands of a colonial a musket can fire up to one ball a minute. It's a mass killing machine!" -British Major General Francis Smith, 1775 (attributed).

2. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Ruff

Ceska (03-23-2017), kennymo (03-18-2017), normmus (03-18-2017), Rory McCanuck (03-18-2017), speedloader (03-18-2017)

Knocked his ear muffs off. Ow!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

South East from the center of the Universe
    From a braced position, I counted 3 steps it knocked him back!!
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud refers to the Irish.

I want one! I want one!
    Join the CSSA. Its the least you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    I want one! I want one!
    I googled for "Robert Bob Gordon Vogel homemade gun" hoping for plans. (after fixing the spelling of his last name to match the youtube)

Didn't find any plans.

Found
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Vogel_(marksman)
    http://www.guns.com/2017/03/13/setti...me-warp-video/

Firing an 11' punt gun from a boat, half load, no shot
    The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Rory McCanuck (03-18-2017)

For a punt -gun it is a bit small really.

Col. Peter Hawkers was a Lot heavier and fired 2 lbs of shot from each barrel. Guns firing 1 1/2 lbs were quite common. Mind, these weren't ever designed to shoot from the shoulder!. ( no shoulder stocks.)
    The picture directly above looks a bit odd, as the gun is pointing up into the sky. A punt-gun is attached to the punt so it cannot climb like that.
    The birds were approached by sculling....paddling up close as desired with two paddles like table-tennis bats, whilst laid prone in the punt. When close enough, the side of the punt was kicked, and as the birds arose the lanyard was pulled. Usually a light gun like a 12 -bore was also carried as a "cripple stopper".
    Family used to punt -gun on the Lincolnshire coast.

I used to hear stories about how the punts would be launched backwards by the recoil. But personally, a gun that can be shoulder mounted is what I would call a cannon.
    "My God, in the hands of a colonial a musket can fire up to one ball a minute. It's a mass killing machine!" -British Major General Francis Smith, 1775 (attributed).

Quote Originally Posted by P-B. View Post
    For a punt -gun it is a bit small really.

Col. Peter Hawkers was a Lot heavier and fired 2 lbs of shot from each barrel. Guns firing 1 1/2 lbs were quite common. Mind, these weren't ever designed to shoot from the shoulder!. ( no shoulder stocks.)
    The picture directly above looks a bit odd, as the gun is pointing up into the sky. A punt-gun is attached to the punt so it cannot climb like that.
    The birds were approached by sculling....paddling up close as desired with two paddles like table-tennis bats, whilst laid prone in the punt. When close enough, the side of the punt was kicked, and as the birds arose the lanyard was pulled. Usually a light gun like a 12 -bore was also carried as a "cripple stopper".
    Family used to punt -gun on the Lincolnshire coast.
    I have the idea that over here the birds were shot still sitting on the water. People using those things were not sportsmen, they were market hunters.

Ruff,

The birds are at their most vulnerable when just rising from the water, hence kick the side of the punt before letting drive.
    In England, punt -gunning was often the work of fishermen/fowlers, who indeed made their living by such means. There were as well, a good few sportsman who had a punt and liked to have ago.
    A punt-gunner might get one or two good shots in a season, and it took a lot of dedication, sculling around the bays and inlets in freezing weather. To this latter group it Was sport, and like I said, being very cold and wet was a part of it and took real dedication. :-)
    A shorershooter might make a bigger overall bag in the season, but to a punt -gunner, getting lined up on a flock of widgeon or geese was pure magic! Roar of the big gun, all so primitive!
    Of course with a muzzle-loader, the punt had to be run aground to reload.
    BTW, Yes, the punt does go backwards when the gun is fired. :-)

11oz = 5156gr?

That's no moon...
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast