Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shipping a restricted

I didn't know where to put this but since very knowledgeable members also pick through here I thought why not.

I never sold a restricted (online) . How would someone go about shipping the firearm? I'm in QC, what if someone from BC wants it, do I add shipping costs to the price, what carrier to use, (some give more problems than others) Gun box has to be locked, do I mail the new owner the keys? Stupid I know but like I said, I'm new at this and I have one to sell and I don't want to limit myself to local sale.

Thanks for any advice
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    The best way to go is to include shipping. If you don't, you're going to get 10 tire kickers asking you how much to ship to xyz. Put down that you'll offer a discount (price of shipping) for a local sale. GET THE MONEY BEFORE CALLING IN AND STARTING A TRANSFER !!!)

Put a trigger lock on it. Put it in a box or case that fairly sturdy (read: can't be broken open easily). Don't put any markings on the outside of it that indicate there's a gun inside (brown paper wrapper type stuff). Ship via Canada Post, registered/signature required.

It does not have to be in a locked gun box. I've received restricted forearms right from dealers with just the little screw together type trigger locks and nothing more. The whole idea of trigger locks and locked plastic boxes providing security of any kind is a complete farce anyway. The cheapest method is to cable tie the trigger back. Put it in a good sturdy cardboard box with LOTS lot padding so the heathens at Canada Post don't damage anything. Put lots of tape on the box, including all the corners to lessen the chance of it being accidently broken open (see: Can Post heathens again). Name address, and return address only on the outside. Do NOT write : fragile: gun inside, or anything of the sort. If the folks at the post office ask what it is, tell them it's a car part. It's nobody's business that you're shipping a gun through Canada Post, and it's the ONLY legal way to ship restricted stuff in Canada.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 03-19-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Kobs (03-19-2017)

I have received 3 firearms recently from different dealers. All three came in their original box, unlocked and the boxes wrapped in brown paper with just my name and address. I had to sign for them of course so they had been registered. One dealer in Quebec would not send me the firearm until I had received my registration certificate from the CFO. The other 2 came before the certificates. Two of the dealers had included shipping in the price (so I don't know the cost) the other charged $40.00. All came through Canada Post as blacksmithden stated. Money first I guess.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By magnumsmith

Kobs (03-19-2017)

^^^ If the gun was registered to you (according to the transfer) why would he keep YOUR gun till you received your proof or registration?
    Sorry for asking questions I already have the answer (@ coverage)

Anyone took insurance on the packages?
    I don't think they will insure for more than $500 what of the rest?

"...include shipping..." And insurance.
    "Fragile" means "Throw this." in Postal Latin. "Gun inside." means "Steal this." Like blacksmithden says, what's in the package is not their business.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

Kobs (03-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Anyone took insurance on the packages?
    I don't think they will insure for more than $500 what of the rest?
    I always add insurance(and signature), its something like $1.50 per $100, express and priority come with $100 insurance automatically, but still always ask for it anyways.
    Pretty sure the max insurance is a few thousand.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By cobrajr122

Kobs (03-19-2017)

So as plain as possible, shipped Canada post, insured for the price the new buyer paid for (just in case) and hope for the best .

In case of package lost, What happens? Who has to file, shipper or receiver? Is there a time limit before filing?
    Does it have to be reported to authorities as a stolen firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    So as plain as possible, shipped Canada post, insured for the price the new buyer paid for (just in case) and hope for the best .

In case of package lost, What happens? Who has to file, shipper or receiver? Is there a time limit before filing?
    Does it have to be reported to authorities as a stolen firearm?
    Sender always has to file. Signature on delivery to prevent fraud.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

Kobs (03-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post

It does not have to be in a locked gun box. I've received restricted forearms right from dealers with just the little screw together type trigger locks and nothing more. The whole idea of trigger locks and locked plastic boxes providing security of any kind is a complete farce anyway. The cheapest method is to cable tie the trigger back. Put it in a good sturdy cardboard box with LOTS lot padding so the heathens at Canada Post don't damage anything. Put lots of tape on the box, including all the corners to lessen the chance of it being accidently broken open (see: Can Post heathens again). Name address, and return address only on the outside. Do NOT write : fragile: gun inside, or anything of the sort. If the folks at the post office ask what it is, tell them it's a car part. It's nobody's business that you're shipping a gun through Canada Post, and it's the ONLY legal way to ship restricted stuff in Canada.
    I was going to use cheap combination lock and trigger lock and send the numbers through e-mail just to be "law compliant". I have the original gun case so that's out of the way. I never told the truth when they asked me what was in the packages anyways loll. For this I was thinking clutch disk lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast