Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    ....or a roll of packing tape.
    Or all of the above. Whoever getting my NP34 is going to hate me. Cable lock, zip ties, duct tape, packing tape.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

Kobs (03-28-2017)

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    One thing I never understood with restricted transfers is why sellers want the money first.

If I'm serious about buying and have clearly stated that I agree to buy it for the said price, can't the restricted transfer process be used as a sort of insurance for the buyer, especially if buying from a first time/unknown seller?

Have the seller initiate the transfer, once you call in to complete it and it's pending approval/completion THEN you send the money. It gives the buyer some insurance since he knows the item is actually in possession of the seller and in the process of being transferred and if the buyer doesn't pay up can't the seller call the CFC/RCMP to revoke the transfer since the money/payment part of the contractual obligation wasn't fulfilled?

Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post
    One thing I never understood with restricted transfers is why sellers want the money first.

If I'm serious about buying and have clearly stated that I agree to buy it for the said price, can't the restricted transfer process be used as a sort of insurance for the buyer, especially if buying from a first time/unknown seller?

Have the seller initiate the transfer, once you call in to complete it and it's pending approval/completion THEN you send the money. It gives the buyer some insurance since he knows the item is actually in possession of the seller and in the process of being transferred and if the buyer doesn't pay up can't the seller call the CFC/RCMP to revoke the transfer since the money/payment part of the contractual obligation wasn't fulfilled?
    What if the buyer disagrees with the seller's assertion that they didn't pay up? The CFC/RCMP isn't an escrow service with all that entails, including commercial dispute resolution.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Likeaboss

Kobs (03-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Or all of the above. Whoever getting my NP34 is going to hate me. Cable lock, zip ties, duct tape, packing tape.
    I would rather have more than not enough
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post

To transfer a restricted requires agreement from both parties. The person currently on record as the owner initiates the transfer, the receiver must verify and accept.

So, you transfer your firearm to Johnny Q Badactor, and he accepts. He is now the registered owner of a firearm, and refuses to pay you.

You have no recourse. You can't call the RCMP and cancel the transfer; it's done, and you no longer own that firearm. You are now in possession of a restricted firearm not registered to you.

Sure, you can go to court to get your money, but in the meantime, you either have to send the firearm along, or remain in possession of the firearm, in which case Johnny calls the RCMP and so informs them.

On the other hand, if he pays you, and you don't actually transfer the firearm, he can take you to court, but at least, as you, in theory, never initiated the transfer, nobody is breaking firearms possession laws.

If you don't trust the guy you're buying a firearm from, use an actual escrow service.
    The difference between a 'citizen' and a 'subject' is the right, and responsibility, to bear arms.

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By TheCenturion

glockfan (03-28-2017), Kobs (03-28-2017)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234