Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I have a 455 super match, excellent rifle. It's as accurate as the 452 varmint I have. I got the 455 used but in very good condition from a dealer for $350 so don't discount used rifles if your dealing with a reputable dealer.
    I'm too new to really know what a reputable dealer looks like or where to find one. I'd rather skip that for now and just start shooting. Get a gun club membership. Shoot often. Meet people. Talk and discuss...and then plan my next gun etc. When I become more knowledgeable then I will be more capable of making a good used purchase. But for now it's too advanced for me.

Just going to throw in my opinion. I'm fairly new to the shooting world as well and i choose to get a bolt action .22 as my first rifle. I originally was going to get a Ruger 10/22 but the cost kept me away at the moment and i wanted something that would teach me the proper basics instead of firing off hundreds of rounds down range. I settled with the Ruger American Rimfire, cheaper than the 10/22 but takes the 10/22 magazine. Never had an issue with it so far. It was $400 at Canadian Tire the last time i was in there.

How about this:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/4993/s...-w-accutrigger

Savage Mark II G (not sure if G means anything more than the stock type) Bolt Action Rifle w/ AccuTrigger
    $299.99

No scope. I could buy that separately.

What do you think?

I have a savage Mk II heavy barrel, it's by far my favorite .22

I would go for the MKIIG. While you are at it order somes scope bases, they are like 10$ each. That'll save you trouble later.
    Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.

I came here to tell you to buy a CZ, and was happy to see it was your first choice.
    Now, end of the thread, you've been talked out of the CZ?

Lunacy has taken place here.
    If you plan on using irons, get the cz lux.
    If you plan on using a scope, get the cz american model
    I had the lux stock - not ideal with a scope, the american style stock is designed with a scope in mind.

There's nothing wrong with the savage mrk2 or the ruger american rimfires though.
    The CZs have better style.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I have a savage Mk II heavy barrel, it's by far my favorite .22
    How do I know what kind of barrel it has? ie: a "heavy barrel". I'm really quite ignorant on this it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I came here to tell you to buy a CZ, and was happy to see it was your first choice.
    Now, end of the thread, you've been talked out of the CZ?

Lunacy has taken place here.
    If you plan on using irons, get the cz lux.
    If you plan on using a scope, get the cz american model
    I had the lux stock - not ideal with a scope, the american style stock is designed with a scope in mind.

There's nothing wrong with the savage mrk2 or the ruger american rimfires though.
    The CZs have better style.
    The argument against the CZ that seems to have concerned me the most was the one saying as a new gun owner I will not maintain it, or do something incorrectly, and damage it in some way. And so I would be better off picking a cheaper Savage MKII. Is this incorrect?

All you have to do is clean it, same as any other rifle. Mostly to prevent rusting.
    As well, general rule of thumb for .22s - don't dry fire it.

If you plan on using it as a hammer or not taking care of it, sure, something less expensive will be money better spent.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    All you have to do is clean it, same as any other rifle. Mostly to prevent rusting.
    As well, general rule of thumb for .22s - don't dry fire it.

If you plan on using it as a hammer or not taking care of it, sure, something less expensive will be money better spent.
    So you think if I plan on taking care of this gun religiously, even if it is my first gun, then I would be better off with the CZ 455 American with a nice scope and just be done with ever needing another .22?

Out of curiosity...is it possible / difficult / expensive to convert the CZ 455 or Savage MKII G from .22LR to .17HMR?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast