View Poll Results: Do you lap your rings?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I lap the rings

9 23.08%
  • No I don't

30 76.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many guys lap their rings?

I've got a new hunting rifle and I've thought about lapping the rings. I know that the competitive long range guys lap their rings, but is it worth doing this for a hunting rifle?

I've never had a problem, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a reason to do it. I actually like the rings such as Burris Signature Zee Rings, or Sako / Tikka OptiLocks with the plastic ring inserts on my hunting rifles.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I've lapped rings before. As long as the bases were put on right and you don't buy junk rings, there's very little need for it. I did buy a set of rings out of China once, with the intention of reworking them into something of quality. I did make them work, but the amount of lapping I had to do just wasn't worth it.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Probably more important to check the alignment. I usually lap these days, but it seems less important on newer rifles with decent quality mounts and rings. Very little work needed to create a good contact surface with the last few sets of Weaver mounts and Grand Slam rings. A couple of the older rigs that were drilled and tapped later in life needed a little more attention paid to both alignment and the lap bar...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I lap all my rings which I find helps with leveling the scope, but also in preventing marks and scratches on the scope tube. Although I've been using a lot of Burris Signature rings with the concentric inserts lately. So my lapping kit is collecting dust.

If I got the kit to do it, I'd do it, but everything has been working fine without it.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Government isn't a tool, it's a weapon

I look at lapping rings, the same way you line bore a motor when rebuilding. Not necessary, but still do it. If you use weaver mounts and rings, then I would say your probably not worried about lapping. Annealing and neck turning your brass would be far down your list if it even made it as well. I realize its a hunting rifle your referring to, but its still nice to hit what you aim at.

i may lap them depending if a large part of the inner surface isn't in contact with the scope tube. higher end rings generally don't need lapping ,like burris signature or sako...this kind of high end rings don't need extra work ...otherwise mid range rings may need some lapping,it's inexpensive, just make sure you don't remove to much material .
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.

It only takes a few minutes and it won't detract from anything. Now that I have the gear I always do it.

I buy high quality rings and skip the lapping nonsense.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By DILLIGAF

no-one special (03-29-2017), zulu (03-29-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast