Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by P-B. View Post
    I found a couple of Tranter revolvers. ($500.00 or less)
    Both needed work as they were made in the 1850's (A Tranter-Adams-Kerr and a fourth model Tranter)
    Both shoot Very accurately now. :-) Sold the 4th Model though...

May be an alternative to a repro?
    I'm interested. I am planning on sourcing a legitimate cap and ball revolver. Tell me more about these please.

C&B Revolvers are fun and nothing beats that gigantic yet so fragrant cloud of smoke after you shoot

I've not had any issues with Pietta, particularly the 1858's given they have the top strap and the cylinder is easily removable for reloading or carrying around extras or even a conversion.

Do be exceptionally cautious however and in particular never ever use smokeless in one of these old guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ORCshooter View Post
    I just want to know where is a good place to get reproductions? I mean, there's Marstar, but they're usually out and they are damn far away as well.
    Where are you? Marstar has some of theirs on sale now, I know.

Wolverine Supplies is another place that is big into importing Uberti stuff, from either Taylor's & Co or Cimarron in the states.

I've not checked to see whether Aztech carries either, but they could be a route as well.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Buster,
    Nothing much to tell really. I bought one from down East, and one at a local gun-show. Both had had a rough life. One had played "cowboys and Injuns " and was battered to death with dry-firing.
    Had a lot of peening to put it right and needed a set of nipples. its a fourth model Tranter. Fortunately the barrel was in excellent order, and it shot really well.
    (At our annual Victorian Rifleman Alberta Shoot, it won against Webley WG's and such, and a .44 S&W Russian.) It's a .54-bore, so .44 cal & liked a .457" ball. Used to shoot it with only 25 grs of 3F, but cylinder was long enough it would hold 40 grs if I'd wanted. Sold that one to another Brit, now living in Washington, but he comes to our shoot.

Other one was a Tranter-Adams Kerr, also in 54 -bore.
    This has the Kerr type rammer, and Tranter's double trigger. That double trigger looks complicated, but it the neatest and fastest and easiest trigger I have ever used!
    This pistol came bent! Had to straighten out the frame. Maybe fired with nitro, or got run over I don't know. It won't group with .454" balls, but really shoots well with .457".
    No finish left on this one, and needed a stirrup making for the mainspring, plus a front sight & half the rammer.
    Keep your eyes peeled at gunshows, as something will turn up sooner or later.

Nice thing about old ones is no licence needed.
    Richard.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By P-B.

bortas (05-20-2017)

Well, there is the purely romantic aspect of cap & ball revolvers and then there is the cold realities of them.
    From a purely romantic point of view, the Colt Army and Navy and Dragoons rule. They have the looks and the history.
    From a reality standpoint, they are also the weakest, most prone to loosen up, and have problems where the split spent caps can fall into the action in front of the hammer causing annoying misfires.
    Slix Shot nipple sets can alleviate this problem, because they have holes drilled sideways through them, and vent the back pressure, allowing the spent caps to stay put on the nipples until you flick them off during your reload.
    Still, since there is no top strap and no solid frame, all of the pressure is on the barrel wedge, and that's where problems occur.
    The Remington types fall into that cold reality category. With a solid frame and top strap, there are no worries of loosening up, and spent caps can not pass through the frame opening where the hammer passes, and simply fall off to the side.
    The maximum in practical cold reality of cap & ball revolvers would be the Ruger Old Army.
    Sadly, out of production, these were the Remington New Army on steroids. Built like a tank, they were as strong as regular Blackhawks, had all of the Remington's advantages, as well as a superior hand and ratchet system, loading lever, and all coil springs like all Blackhawks. Also made in stainless, a distinct advantage.
    The one advantage that the Colts enjoy over the Remington types is their larger diameter cylinder arbor, which is designed to hold grease and resist cylinder drag caused by fouling.
    However, with an appropriate natural mixture of beeswax, neatsfoot or olive oil, and a bit of Murphy's oil soap, a Remington will keep on working for 24 shots or more without cleaning, when this is used as base pin lube and to seal the chambers as bullet lube.
    So, the Remingtons, Whitneys, and even the brass-framed Spiller and Burr, are better choices for more than occasional shooting.
    The Colt revolvers are weaker and less reliable.
    And, the brass-frame Colt-style revolvers are the weakest and the worst choices.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By shootist1873

P-B. (05-20-2017)

It is for the above reasons that I like the Adams or Tranter. Solid frame and well built.
    At one shoot, my old fourth model Tranter was fired (13 shots each) by five of us and kept going without cleaning for the whole lot without fouling up. (Total of 65 shots)
    It Was getting a bit sticky at the end though. No cap jams either. I wonder why I sold it!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12