Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I fear I would eat an entire 6x6 elk rack and be hungry again two hours later....
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Fowl Minded
    My best advice for a new hunter is to find an old hunter and hunt with them.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Newbgunner

deerbeargrouse (04-10-2017)

deer: positioning respective to wind direction. they have good ears and noses with poor eyes. position yourself special the wind doesn't carry your smell and sounds. also look for deer poo and deer "highways"....
    bear: anise seed pure vanilla extract, popcorn. if you bait, popcorn is cheap easy and light to transport that is also a lot of volume. the bears pick away at it, especially when mixed with grease or molasses.
    elk: here in Ontario, you need luck. pray to the gods you get a tag.

general advise: concealed popup ground blinds, good clothing and boots for third time. comfort keeps you out there longer. practice your calls (if applicable) during the off season.

best piece of advise that is open to debate: start small. rabbits, birds, Especially coyote! it generally keeps your eyes moving, ears open, more trigger action, easier to harvest.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Don't believe people that say deer (or bear) have poor eyes. They see differently than us, doesn't mean they have poor sight. There wouldn't be an animal left among them if they couldn't see well.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

6. The Following User Liked This Post By BrotherRockeye

pitw (04-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    Don't believe people that say deer (or bear) have poor eyes. They see differently than us, doesn't mean they have poor sight. There wouldn't be an animal left among them if they couldn't see well.
    Yes

I have no evidence, but I surmise that they see movement much more than they identify with a still subject.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123