Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1 on the Lizard bedding. The stuff I use is ground walnut shells, not corn cob. I use strips of once used dryer sheets in the tumbler to help keep the dust down.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By AB.Boy

Michael357 (04-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    Is that the green Lyman media?
    Yep. I believe so.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

I'm going to build myself a tumbler soon and was wondering about media myself. I want to build a wet tumbler but I am a cheap Ukrainian and don't want to pay for the stainless media. Will copper wire work? I was thinking about taking alternator windings and cutting them to use as media. Would it do as good a job as the stainless? Would it even work at all?
    How do I change my signature to something about Bacon?

I mix half green stuff and half walnut stuff (lyman) and I don't know if I change it more than once a year because the brass just keeps coming out clean.

I'd guess I run several thousand cases through it between changes, at which point the cost of the media is pretty minor next to everything else involved.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Michael357 (04-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Eel View Post
    I'm going to build myself a tumbler soon and was wondering about media myself. I want to build a wet tumbler but I am a cheap Ukrainian and don't want to pay for the stainless media. Will copper wire work? I was thinking about taking alternator windings and cutting them to use as media. Would it do as good a job as the stainless? Would it even work at all?
    copper would oxidized and rust pretty quick.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty — and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Eel View Post
    That's all I use, copper wire cut to 1/2 - 3/4".
    Works nicely. A squirt of soap and a sprinkle of citric acid, everything comes out sparkling.
    The pins don't seem to corrode. I leave them in the tub, or in a Folgers can. Sometimes they're dry, sometimes not.
    Never worried about it, and haven't seen any problems.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/show...l=1#post262202
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

I have been using Lyman corn cob for cleaning. It lasts a long time.
    I was recently given a large bag of crushed walnut. It says on the bag
    for cleaning aircraft parts. For use in a bead blaster I assume.

How much NuFinish do you add to the media?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by wolver View Post
    Crushed walnut at Princess Auto is cheap for a big bag, and works well.
    I use the Princess Auto stuff as well ; no issues so far .
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

I found the green tumbling media gave a lot of dust.

On this topic, I recently found that using brand new walnut shell got the brass so clean that it would stick in the sizing die...I guess it took all the oxides off or something. Turned into a bit of a clusterbump until I phoned Dillon tech support and asked why the press was ripping the rims off 9mm brass all of a sudden. First question he asked me when I explained the problem was what tumbling media I was using. Turns out that brand new media will require you to add a bit of sizing lube to the first few cases...said it was not uncommon when using new tumbling media.

Odd that of all the tumbling I had done and the number of times I had changed the media, this started out of the wild blue.
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

...from the Graz family crest.

I never found any lizard bedding that looked satisfactory, but I did pick up some corn cob based and walnut based cat litters.
    The walnut stuff is a little dusty, the corn cob stuff looks less dusty.

I've was a dumby a couple hours ago, tried the walnut stuff for the first time and put polish in with the brass right away.
    Bunch of cases have clumps in them now. It did clean the rest of them up nice though.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty — and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12