Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

First firearm recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started with shooting, having just passed my PAL and RPAL exams and currently in the waiting period. I'm mostly interested in target shooting --- I had a great time doing it in the army reserves ages ago and am excited to try my hand at pistols in addition to rifles.

The advice I've received so far is that even if I'm ultimately interested in a larger caliber, I should start off with a .22LR pistol and a .22 LR rifle. Cheap and interchangeable ammo, light frames, low recoil... learn the basics and develop good habits before blowing a hole in something. That seems to make sense, and since I'm interested in target shooting I'm in no rush to move up to bigger bores beyond the fact that it's fun to make loud noises. (And it is.)

I'm currently in Toronto, which means I'm going to have a really hard time finding a place that will both let me try out a firearm and sell it to me. I've probably got a maximum budget of about $1000 each, but I'd obviously prefer to keep costs down for something possibly more exciting later.

So just a few questions:

1) Do you agree with the advice about starting with the rimfire guns, or should I start with the calibers I'm interested in sticking with?

2) Do you know of anyplace in or around Toronto where someone can try out a range of firearms before buying them? Ideally someplace with a large selection?

3) Would you recommend choosing from the range of firearms available at whatever range is also a retailer, so that I can be sure it's something comfortable even if I don't find a "perfect fit"; or should I buy something I really like and is well-regarded and then get used to it?

4) If you agree that .22LR is a good starting point and that it might be a good idea to buy before trying, I was thinking about the Sig P226R and the Ruger 10/22. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks!

I never had a .22 pistol, and went straight to a 45. I think you should get the pistol and calibre you want.
    There's a million ruger 10/22s out there, it's a fine choice.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Do your own personal comparisons on the following:
    Looks, functionality, colour, caliber, weight, materials, price and of course recommendations.
    Myself I like the marlin 22 over the Ruger 22. Rifle
    The savage axis is a very accurate rifle. Not as smooth as the more expensive brands but way cheaper.
    If money is no object. Buy what you want. If you're on a limited budget then go all out up front with the pistol. They are expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"...let me try out a firearm..." Few shops, anywhere, will allow that because the firearm instantly becomes a used firearm and they can't sell it as 'new'. You can try a handgun on for size in most shops though. Mind you, most shops don't have a range either.
    In any case, for restricted, you have to join a club anyway. By far most shooters tend to go out of their way to help a new shooter. That includes letting you try their firearms.
    A Sig 226 isn't a target gun but if a member has one, it's not impolite to ask if you can look at it and that usually leads to an invitation to try it. That pistol has a few advantages though. Al Flaherty's(2066 Dufferin Street) will sell you a .22 conversion kit for $489. Only downside is the mags are friggin' expensive.
    As daft as it sounds, in TO, it's easier to shoot a handgun regularly than it is a rifle. For rifles it's Guelph, Cambridge or Oshawa. Which one depends on where you are in TO.
    "...maximum budget of about $1000 each..." That's entirely reasonable. You don't have to spend it all at once either.

Thanks for the feedback! Very useful to know I'm not necessarily making a mistake in purchasing a firearm without shooting it first.

Where do you stand on the .22 issue? A natural place to start, or should I just go find the pistol I like the best?

The .22 definitley is the practical first-choice, easy to learn on, and ammo is dirt cheap, just picked one up myself not too long ago.

That being said, my first handgun was a Beretta 92. Always wanted one and was in all the good action movies growing up. I would be tempted to say buy what you want first, and the .22 handgun will come in time, they're cheap enough to just buy whenever

There is an endless array of .22 pistols - My first was the Ruger MkII - it is a classic, and very nice. Visit your gun owner friends, fondle their .22 pistols, go to the shops and fondle their pistols, and when you find one you like - buy it.

Ditto to pretty much all of the above. I've found that if you go into a store and just tell them you're new and ask some intelligent questions, they're extremely helpful. I'm in Durham Region, so I've been to Firearms Outlet Canada in Ajax, Williams Arms in Port Perry, Gagnon Sports in Oshawa, and Target Sports in Gormley. Everyone I've encountered was friendly and had some comments or tips about things I didn't think of. Stopped by BassPro in Vaughan, but they don't have any restricted firearms.

As for trying guns, I'm lucky: a friend has been shooting for years and has a pretty decent collection. Once I got my RPAL, we went to the range and tried out a few. The good news is that if you buy something you don't like, you can re-sell it and try something else so keep your eye on the websites for used.
    Finally getting back out to the range with my threesome:
    Ruger Mark IV, CZ SP-01 Shadow, Ruger SP101.

Yes, I have more guns than my husband.

I can say one thing against 22, it's hard to see holes at 25 yards, if you can't see all your holes, it's hard to learn to shoot well, just one thing to think about. My first was a 9mm, second was a 22, it rarely comes out of safe.

If you're not the sort that needs a rush when you pull the trigger, .22 is perfect to begin with. Those of us who started young started with a .22

The complaints you hear the most are about how "boring" it is. The cure for that is a 12 gauge (channeling my childhood there)

For a pistol, personal experience suggests to buy one that was designed as a .22. I've had issues with conversion kits for pistol and rifle that go beyond accuracy.

For a target rifle, look into bolt guns. Dollar for dollar you're more likely to get a more accurate gun than you will with a semi auto, if you're buying quality.

The best way to try guns is to be a people person at the range. I personally enjoy letting new shooters try what I have if they express a curiosity.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Madrach (04-20-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast