Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Get-togethers in MB gravel pits?

Hey all, just wondering is there any shooting get togethers in the gravel pits or on crown land around Winnipeg? I would like to introduce a few newbies to the sport, but as I am a member at Selkirk G&F they only allow guests to visit, not shoot, and they don't do day passes. I know a couple general areas but don't know the exact roads to go down. And yes I have a truck big enough to get in there :P

2. The Following User Liked This Post By DasMauser

originalaviator (06-17-2017)

The last time that I was in such a place it was like a war zone. We couldn't leave until dusk, when *most* of the shooting all around us stopped.

Selkirk has some BS excuse to justify their guest policy, but I personally think they just prefer not to invest in growing the club.

Drop-ins are kosher for trap nights, though. I've seen more than a few first time shooters brought there.

Guest passes are $10 for Firing line, if you have a member to sponsor you (no full bore rifle or shotguns permitted).
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Banned
    Sounds like your happy to live in eastern Manitoba.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    The last time that I was in such a place it was like a war zone. We couldn't leave until dusk, when *most* of the shooting all around us stopped.

Selkirk has some BS excuse to justify their guest policy, but I personally think they just prefer not to invest in growing the club.

Drop-ins are kosher for trap nights, though. I've seen more than a few first time shooters brought there.

Guest passes are $10 for Firing line, if you have a member to sponsor you (no full bore rifle or shotguns permitted).
    Oh? I knew mars hill was like that, was hoping the pits were a better bet. Damn. I have a friend with property that we shoot at close to the pits but he doesnt have any end berms set up so i'd rather not take newbies there to shoot with a bunch old bikers their first time out. Lol

I hate to be negative about my club but i've notices that too, asked philip a couple times about day passes during the summer when the clubhouse is manned, not getting anywhere.

Took my firearms safety at firing line years ago, might have to look into it I know extreme shooting centre is an option too but i prefer to be outdoors anyhow, pricey there as well

Quote Originally Posted by gtr View Post
    Sounds like your happy to live in eastern Manitoba.
    Maybe he is, so what?
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Xtreme gets extra pricey if you dare to chip the paint on the armor plate that is there for the sole purpose of stopping stray bullets from going through the roof...

I'm happy to take folks to Firing Line and do my bit to supervise, BTW. Getting new people introduced to the sport is always fun.

It was the pits out near Richer where I was last. Mars Hills I wasn't comfortable with because of all of the random nature lovers in the area and the lack of good backstops
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

gtr (04-20-2017)

Yep, that sounds like Xtreme, you speaking from personal experience? Lol

I will take you up on that Firing Line offer sometime in the coming months, are the backstops rated for 7.62x39 or are only rimfire rifles permitted?

I've heard all kinds of stories about Mars Hill, then there was an article in the paper a while back about all the trash and casings that get left behind by shooters, figured I wouldnt even bother going there.

I am going to take a drive out to Anola pits in a month or so and take a look, if its not too bad and people there arent being careless with shooting I may try and put something together for the summer. One of the electricians from work offered to show me which areas are not privately owned and safe to shoot in

Personal, once removed. I was there with a friend who had a very short girl with him and unbeknownst to us the distance to the target and her high angle of fire (or her newbie flinch) had put something like 18 chips in the plating.

Pistol chamberings only at Firing Line, so pistol Calibre carbines only. They experimented with some rubber once but the ricochets were crazy, and without it the shots shred the swirl traps, apparently.

I used to love going to the anola pits. Not been there in a few years. I understand some local crank has been posting the land now and then, even though it's a hydro right of way going into it lol.

One thing I miss is busting clays on a berm. But difficult to do at Selkirk.

We can set something up for a quiet weeknight, or a weekend when there's no match on.

Hmm, may have to invest in a kriss vector or something then. Lol. Have a couple pistols but rifles might be a better start for some. I love the reaction I get out of people when they find out I have handguns, "gasp, you can own those legally??"

Well hell, if you know the way would you mind leading the way in? Would save me from trying to line up with the electrician, hes busy this time of year so his schedule free time is few and far between should it rain or something. I also heard some cranky old man was posting signs and trying to kick people off the land on the other gun site, too funny

Anyone else interested in coming for a group shoot? I see lots of thread views but few replies. I'll bring a bbq? Lol

I just have the google earth open. If I'm right it's at 49Deg 51' 48"N by 96Deg 28' 0"W

You get there off Dugald Rd, south on the 302 for about a KM then follow the hydro lines in, keeping to the left along the power lines - the driveway to the right going to the southern pits is posted and so far as I know genuinely private land.

After what a few hundred yards through what is probably by now a swampy trails, you bear right and you're in there.

I don't know if it's still open or not. Several years back someone moved enough earth to block off another pit in the area. Story I heard is the same old one - people being dangerous and messy.

I've a CX-4 that's proving to be more fun since upgrading the trigger group. I find I just can't hit anything with a rifle from the standing position any more, and being riddled with arthritis means it's either standing or bench, which is yet another reason why I've forgone pits for ranges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast