Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ross Rifle company

Just wondering if anyone has ever used, have or seen the Ross 303's. I have two myself. Both need a couple of parts. Both of the guns I have were used in war. My g,g grandfather owned them and handed down over the generations.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...BsYCHuq715XBpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used one? Nice enough milsurp, very Canadian! Numrich out of the States may have the parts you need, but their shipping is expensive.
    CSSA CCFR

Canadian ForcesMember
    I also have two Ross rifles, both in 303 Brit. My model 1905 is a superb shooter. My 1910 has been shot so many times that it is almost worn out. Both are great fun to shoot and very accurate. I wish I had a nickel for every time someone has said that they would not shoot a Ross because they will blow up or something equally moronic. I try to pass on that the Ross rifles were withdrawn from service because they were made to tight tolerances and could not handle being covered in mud. Almost always the answer is "Huuhhh?"

Think about going to a gunshow and looking for the parts that you need. Gunshows are a great way to spend an afternoon and you might get lucky enough to find the parts you need.
    There's no doubt that this administration is Marxist. The question is whether it's Karl or Groucho.

A what now, nope never heard of em...

What parts you looking for I'll see if my parts bin can cough up anything if need be.
    I shot a 1910 ross and still have everything minus my marbles if you find them please do not return to owner

I've been the owner of a commercial ross R-10 in .303brit for about a week now. Love it! Never had a straight-pull before. You can feel the history on it!

I've got a cut up m-10 that I've shot deer and bear with.
    Actually, it's the only .303 I own right now.
    If you're interested in the Ross rifle, try to find the book "the Ross rifle story".
    I searched gunshows for quite a while before I found my copy.
    Join the CSSA. Its the least you can do.

A Ross is not an antique. And what model(s) you have matters too.
    Gunparts, Stateside, does have some parts, but try Western Gunparts first. Be a good idea to post what parts you need here too. Lots of stuff in the woodwork.
    "...were used in war..." Highly unlikely. CEF troopies threw 'em away as fast as they could.
    "...because they will blow up or something..." Internet's a wonderful place. snicker. The issue was with Mk II's only, as I recall. And about the operator failing to reassemble the thing correctly. Still no good in battle, except as a sniper's rifle, though. Whole story about the Ross was entirely about the political corruption and incompetence of Sam Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    A Ross is not an antique. And what model(s) you have matters too.
    Gunparts, Stateside, does have some parts, but try Western Gunparts first. Be a good idea to post what parts you need here too. Lots of stuff in the woodwork.
    "...were used in war..." Highly unlikely. CEF troopies threw 'em away as fast as they could.
    "...because they will blow up or something..." Internet's a wonderful place. snicker. The issue was with Mk II's only, as I recall. And about the operator failing to reassemble the thing correctly. Still no good in battle, except as a sniper's rifle, though. Whole story about the Ross was entirely about the political corruption and incompetence of Sam Hughes.
    Are you incapable of being on topic and reading posts?

1) not one person said they were antique.
    2) they were used in the war, they were the issue rifle of Canada's troops. As has been stated, the issue was the mud, and while not stated, manufaturing differences in other countries 303 ammo. Dominion ammo worked fine. They also carried on, and were in fact preferred as sniper rifkes by Canadian snipers due to their accuracy.
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Never used in war eh? Well then someone tell the Royal Navy during WW1, the Chilean Navy until the 1950s, the Canadian Militia during the 1930s and 1940s, the Chinese, the Spanish during the 1930s, the British Home Guard during WW2.... and someone straighten out the Latvian Army on their Ross-Enfields (seriously go google that one).

And someone please tell the Russians to cough up their biathlon rifles from the 1950s which go figure are ross rifles.

But hey if everyone keeps saying they are crap I'll buy em cheap!
    I shot a 1910 ross and still have everything minus my marbles if you find them please do not return to owner

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Ballsofice

Haywire1 (04-22-2017), Rory McCanuck (04-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire1 View Post
    Are you incapable of being on topic and reading posts?

1) not one person said they were antique.
    2) they were used in the war, they were the issue rifle of Canada's troops. As has been stated, the issue was the mud, and while not stated, manufaturing differences in other countries 303 ammo. Dominion ammo worked fine. They also carried on, and were in fact preferred as sniper rifkes by Canadian snipers due to their accuracy.
    Yup! The Ross rifles were made to such high tolerances that they couldn't handle the mud. Then add to that their high tolerances needed ammo made to high standards which the Dominion ammo was and you had an amazing shooter. Thus why there were more than a few Canadian Snipers in WWII still running Ross rifles.

Civilian Ross Rifle, originally 280 Ross but redone in 300 Win Mag.

12. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Drache

Ballsofice (04-25-2017), Billythreefeathers (04-23-2017), Eel (04-25-2017), FallisCowboy (04-24-2017), Rory McCanuck (04-22-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast