Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A lot of us here seem to have been well raised around firearms, and had the benefit of some training in firearm safety during their younger years. That's good.

I didn't get that. And I had the safety habits of a baboon with an AK until I got into cadets, army, and ipsc. After this, my sons got well versed in doing the right things as well as being aware that everyone else in the world was liable to be inadvertently dangerous through a lack of knowledge.

As Bizzle stated, this is a shame and more than one life has been ruined.
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

...from the Graz family crest.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By graz

Billythreefeathers (04-25-2017)

Being a country redneck kid i was hunting alone at the age of 9+, granted only a .22. Gun safety was paramount in my household and if we did something stupid more than once the old leather belt came off dads waist. (I always deserved it when i got it, and there is a large difference between a lickin and a beatin, i only ever got the first).

We always had a loaded 30-30 by the back door for the odd predator that came along to go after our animals, or if a beaver down by the crick showed himself we could dispatch him before he flooded all our land. This was common practice in the country.

I assumed wrongly that anyone with common sense would also teach the same things, but i have to say now after thinking, that it is now "Uncommon Sense" that prevails in this day and age. Even with common sense accidents happen, god help us now with all the dumbasses about these days.

I feel for the kids, families and the community. I hope this incident brings the community together and maybe they will have a community learning session about gun safety that could ehlp prevent future accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    A number of years ago, I lived and worked in a remote fly in community. The gun handling skills I saw were often abysmal; more so if the handler was young.
    I was part of some municipal work in a few remote northern communities back about ten years ago. The local government had us source bullet resistant street lights. Yes, they do exist. Yes, they still get shot out. I can't imagine treating guns with such little respect that you'd use them to destroy your own community.

When everything is free it has no value or worth

6. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Gaidheal

Deuce-deuce (04-28-2017), Lszwajda (05-03-2017), Northshore (04-26-2017), rallygreen (05-25-2017), S.D. Pahl (04-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidheal View Post
    When everything is free it has no value or worth
    So true, and herein lays the problem. No value - no respect.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By wolver

Coke (04-28-2017)

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I was part of some municipal work in a few remote northern communities back about ten years ago. The local government had us source bullet resistant street lights. Yes, they do exist. Yes, they still get shot out. I can't imagine treating guns with such little respect that you'd use them to destroy your own community.
    Sadly it happens. I was sending guys up to Bella Bella and we were informed to pack our own food for the duration as well, as some kids burned down their only grocery store in the community (http://www.mwpr.ca/go11250a/FIRE_DES...IN_BELLA_BELLA) It affected everyone on the reserve and the tourism. There wasn't a lot of long term thought process on that day

I was curious about the RCMP on reserve as well. I thought they had restorative justice circles or something on FN reserves and don't really recognize the RCMP?

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Candychikita View Post
    Sadly it happens. I was sending guys up to Bella Bella and we were informed to pack our own food for the duration as well, as some kids burned down their only grocery store in the community (http://www.mwpr.ca/go11250a/FIRE_DES...IN_BELLA_BELLA) It affected everyone on the reserve and the tourism. There wasn't a lot of long term thought process on that day

I was curious about the RCMP on reserve as well. I thought they had restorative justice circles or something on FN reserves and don't really recognize the RCMP?

RIP
    In the community in which I was working, crews were brought in to build new housing for the community. These were new and modern homes. At night, the community's youth would enter the buildings, tear them apart from the inside, defecate on the floors and partially torch them. And these were homes being built for them. I could never wrap my head around the reasons why someone would do that. But, as said above, it was free so there was no stake in it, and, then there was the pervasive attitude that it didn't matter as anything would be replaced for free all of the time. Not a healthy place to be.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By chuckbuster

Pond_hockey_champ (04-29-2017)

RCMP have country wide jurisdiction, yes, even reserves.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By mparsons

Marcel (05-20-2017)

the title is wrong and misleading but what a surprise....
    lets blame the object and not the total irresponsibility of the father that caused this tragedy

1) he could have taught his son about saftey at that age no problem

2) could have stored it properly

15. The Following User Liked This Post By speedloader

Marcel (05-20-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123