what competitive shooting would be best?

A buddy of mine is interested in getting into competitive shooting. I suggested either IPSC or IDPA but he was saying he wanted to use his duty gear in a competitive and semi-stressful scenario. I'm not sure what he has exactly but I know it's mag pouches with covers and a holster with 2 pieces of retention.

I'm not sure what to suggest...

officers are welcomed to wear duty gear at IDPA matches, not sure about IPSC.

frankly i would be directing him towards 3 gun competition..... all his tools get used, and duty gear not a problem.

(note: he would have to download his duty mags to 10 rounds)

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Westicle

rottweilerboy (05-13-2017)

I haven't shot IPSC in a long while but the rules used to to allow duty rigs for serving LEO's. I bet it is still allowed. IPSC isn't stressful like you say he is looking for and each shooter gets to walk the course of fire before he actually shoots it. But it is still time behind a gun, and you are concentrating on several things at once, accuracy is important, and you don't want to take the time to stop and discuss how to tackle a target once the buzzer goes off.
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

...from the Graz family crest.

Quote Originally Posted by graz View Post
    I haven't shot IPSC in a long while but the rules used to to allow duty rigs for serving LEO's. I bet it is still allowed. IPSC isn't stressful like you say he is looking for and each shooter gets to walk the course of fire before he actually shoots it. But it is still time behind a gun, and you are concentrating on several things at once, accuracy is important, and you don't want to take the time to stop and discuss how to tackle a target once the buzzer goes off.
    Yeah the thing is position of magazines would push them.into limited for uspsa (mags infront of hip bones). Not sure what the ipsc comparison is maybe standard?

Will be at a huge disadvantage, but would still be good practice. Idpa would be better for duty rig and practice using cover and stuff.

Ipsc/uspsa is too run and gun for leo practice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    CCFR, NRA, MDRGC, AFGC and GDRDC.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

lone-wolf (05-15-2017), pandemic (05-16-2017)

agreed, ppc is a good intro to competition
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Im getting into PPC.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

I didn't see EOSC or anything towards Eastern Ontario on the list. Know of anywhere near NCR?

PPC appears to have been taken over by IPSC and IDPA in the region. I know of some people who used to shoot PPC, but those guys are few and far between or have moved to one or both of the other two disciplines.

Maybe check with NCRRA (http://www.ncrra.ca/index.php/side-service-pistol)? If you're from the region and shoot IDPA or IPSC, you might know Peter Griffin (no, he's not a cartoon character, lol). He shoots all over and organizes events at the Eganville club (http://www.edsc.ca/index.html?bottom.html&6).