Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had the eyes checked and wear progressives which can be tricky for sighting.

Looks like the 1.4-4x is the way to go.

Any opinions on either a scout scope setup with long eye relief or even a red dot?

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    I would go to the store to check those out personally. I never liked the scout scope thing after seeing them in person. Red dots are just fine on a lever but make sure you look through one first to make sure you don't have a red dot astigmatism. If so you might have to go with one that works using a prism

For what it's worth (maybe nada), I tried a Leupold scout scope (FXII 2.5X28) on my Browning BLR S/S Takedown, barrel mounted. Loved the scope, and for Ontario hunting 75 Yds to 100 Yds +/- it's perfect. In fact, I liked it so much I bought another one for my Marlin 444 (receiver mounted) and for my just-acquired Winchester AE in 444 Marlin (again received mounted). I found the extended eye relief a blessing for the high recoil boomer 444's, especially the Winnie, which could teach a mule how to kick.

The clarity is great, target acquisition is very quick, and I've got mine mounted up with about 6" of eye relief - I'm 6'4" with long arms, so my tendency before these was to inadvertently wrap myself around the buttstock, sometimes a little too closely unless I thought about it and corrected. With these, it just comes naturally to eye for a quick response shot.

I finally retired my 4 X 40 Japanese glass 39 year old Tasco which has been on the JM Marlin since I bought it new in '78.

Not saying it would work for everybody, but it did for me.

And the Leupolds have stood up nicely to the heavy recoil of the big bores.
    OldNewGuy
    Somewhere near Toronto, Ontario

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By OldNewGuy

kevtmiller (05-23-2017), Rory McCanuck (05-22-2017)

Thanks for all the advice and opinions everyone, this is what I ended up with. I visited our local gun store, SFRC just north of Kingston and liked the scout scope setup so opted for a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x scout scope with UTG Quick Release rings on an XS Sight Systems Lever Scout rail.

I especially like the way it allows me to carry the gun by the receiver like this...

Looking forward to hunting with it this fall.

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kevtmiller

kennymo (06-12-2017), Rory McCanuck (06-12-2017), Swampdonkey (06-12-2017)

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    As long as it works for you, that's what is important! Being down right fugly shouldn't be an issue...

And I apologize for saying it, as I know that function is everything, but scout mountings on levers just look gawd awful imo.

I question even having a scope on a lever gun myself, till I look through it and can actually see what I wanna blast...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

congrats.
    Looks great. If only the ammo weren't so expensive, I might be tempted to get one myself.
    let us know how it shoots.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

I went with a Leupold FX-II Scout 2.5x28mm on my Marlin SBL with QRW low rings and recommend it to others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12